how do I replace the starter

ad4va
0

Asked by ad4va Sep 06, 2010 at 04:39 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr SE Coupe

how do I replace the starter on my 96 GP 3100 ?

Ace Chapman
125

First disconnect your car battery. then jack up your car starter should be under the motor near the flywheel for the transmission. Remove the plastic cover if its there. Disconnect the two or three wires connected to it and you will need a 15mm socket (doesn't need to be deep) and maybe a pipe or breaker bar to loosen the two bolts holding the starter. Once u loosen the bolts u can remove them just make sure your head is clear of the starter as you do so. Reverse the steps to put the new one on and you're good to go

Carol Crittendon
30

Will this be the same for the 2004 Grand Prix?

Jason Zane
2,905

yes, esp for the 3800 & 3100 engines. starters are quite heavy when u loosen bolts so be careful on removal.