Can't find out why car has a whining noise coming from passenger side under the hood. Can anyone help?

Caitlyn Moniz
0

Asked by Caitlyn Feb 16, 2014 at 08:51 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE

There is a loud whining noise coming
from the passenger side, of my 05
Grand Am, where the pulleys are.
Replaced the alternator and it was
still there. Changed the water pump
bc it was louder this morning so
looking at it it seemed to come from
the water pump pulley... It was gone
for maybe 5-10 secs after I started it
up and the noise came back. Its not
as loud but its still there. Any
suggestions on what this could be??
Thanks in advance.

13,235

Could be the belt tentioner pulley, the idler pulley, or you're low on power steering fluid. Remove the serpentine belt and spin the tentioner pulley and the idler pulley. Give them both a good spin. They should spin smoothly with no noise. If you hear a noise during this test, that's the offending pulley. HTH. -Jim

confussed
20

check ur power steering fluid if it is low ur pump will whin also go 2 auto parts store and buy a can of belt ease or something u spray on a belt if it goes away u have a bad belt or tensioner