Why does "TRAC OFF" indicator light up?

txbludiamond281
5

Asked by txbludiamond281 Oct 11, 2010 at 02:09 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I have a 2004 pontiac Grand Am, 4cyl. (new battery, fresh oil change) My trac engine light came on today while I was driving ,instantly after the car began to jerk while going 32mph again at 60 mph and extremely hard while changing gears to park and reverse. I;ve never had this problem while driving or changing gears. What might be causing this?

Kyle Wheeler
45

Sounds like a bad Wheel Hub assembly.

Ken Kravcisin
65

i agree, i also have 04 grand am se1, v6, but have had those lights turn on and it was my wheel bearing/ hub assembly. best way to check drive car and listen to front end for humming,grinding,a light roaring sound, turn the wheel and see when it gets louder or softer, or raise front end of car, and shake tires up and down and side to side, if it feels loose bearing i have put 2 on my car very easy 3 bolts hold it on. hope i helped you some

Scott Diesveld
35

Agreed, this era of GM front drives are known for chewing through bearings. The trac light coming on and usually the abs light aswell are tell tale signs.

49,595

A bad hub will not light up anything. A bad wheel speed sensor will light up the Trac Off, Brake and Service Vehicle Soon lights. If two wheel sensors are bad, the cruise control will not engage, Go to www.gaownersclub.com There are DIY threads with pictures for replacing the hubs.

Richard Beachy
35

mine did the same thing when the check engine light came on it was a timing issue