Why would my water pump start leaking out of the weep hole?

Grand_am_lover
100

Asked by Grand_am_lover Jul 26, 2012 at 02:46 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I was driving home from kenosha. and i was sitting in traffic. And i saw my car getting hotter. But i thought is
was from sitting in hot weather. I was hungry so i pulled in to Mc D's to get something to eat. Why i was sitting
there waiting for my food. My low coolant light came on and i was like thats why its getting hot. So i pulled in the
gas station. When and bought coolant and i put it in. I started driving home about a mile down the road the light
came back on. And i couldn't pull over so i keep driving  and driving. My car never overheated i watched it the
whole time. And i was driving my car didn't wanna really move anymore. Then i started hearing my motor get
louder. So i got to where i was going i left the car running got out and popped the hood. And i heard the timing
chain. it was so loud. And i turned off the car and i heard something pouring out under the car. And i got out
looked under and sure enough. It was leaking. What would casue all of this too happen?

ga123dd
75

Something you ran over might have punctured the hose. You'll icky your radiator didn't blow despite the fact that you kept driving you car while it was leaking coolant. You can get your mechanic to patch the whole temporarily, but I highly recommend that you change it befor you cause some major damage to your car that'll eventually cost you thousands.

Grand_am_lover
100

Its not leaking from a hose its coming from the weep hole on the water pump

128,385

Then your water pump bearing is shot and you need a new water pump. When you get that replaced and new coolant in, also change the oil and filter because it sounds like it was close to boiling. Hopefully you didn't do further damage.

Grand_am_lover
100

Well the timing chain is really loud

128,385

Change the oil and filter first, it might be super thin. If it still makes some noise, you might have to replace the timing chain or more. There could be internal damage to the motor. Do not drive it till you have the oil changed and water pump replaced if your doing it yourself. If not you might want to take it to a local mechanic and have them diagnose your noise and get their opinion on the repair. Good Luck.

Daniel Perron
2,075

need a new water pump, but with all the overheating and running on extended time hot you might need a new motor

Jason Zane
4,365

water pump bearing failed.. the oil became soo hot; it too brokedown. in the heat, the bearings were ground up... agree with Tom, have the oil changed as well as the pump. ask your trusted mechanic to test and evaluate the engine for how extensive the damage went. hope for the best...

trip65

leaking from the weep hole is a warning sign that things (waterpump) is about to get worst.

richsargent
40

Why would my water pump start leaking out of the weep hole? Dude your bladder is full!