service vehicle soon light

kristig
0

Asked by kristig Mar 03, 2009 at 03:45 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Ji Bo
85

scan tool it could be a very large number of things you need to diagnose it.

49,965

Common causes are a blown headlight or a loose gas cap. If it comes on with the Trac Off and ABS lights, you need a new front hub.

Jon Romero
1,535

Completely ignore that last persons comment, a blown head lamp in a car will not illuminate the Service Vehicle Soon lamp. Go to your local parts place and they should scan your vehicle for free. Post what the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is and go from there.

49,965

The Pontiac Grand Am has a Service Engine Soon (SES) light and that is what is commonly read with a hand held scanner at parts stores. The codes are kept in the Engine Control Unit (ECU). The Pontiac Grand Am also has a Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) light that indicates a problem with the circuits associated with the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM controls and monitors the body electrical system. Common causes were listed earlier. The BCM can be scanned at the dealer. I have owned a Grand Am for seven years and have been a member of the Grand Am Owners Club www.GAOwnersClub.com for around six years.

papa

you have a check engine light and the service vehicle soon ,which means it is getting close to a oil change,change your oil and filter,open driver door in side of dash see fuse box,pull the cover off you will see a red button push it 3 times the light will go out.

49,965

I can't believe the misinformation that gets spread around here. Go to the Grand Am Owners Club site for straight talk about the care and feeding of the Grand Am. The Grand Am has an oil life sensor. It lights a "Change Oil Soon" light on the dash when the oil life is 90%. You can turn the light off after the oil change by turnng the key to "On" (don't start the engine) and depressing the gas pedal three times. You can also press the red button once to get the light to flash and then hold it down until you hear the chime.

Jon Romero
1,535

Id be curious to know where this magical oil life sensor is located. Pretty sure its a mileage based calculation which is communicated via class 2 data lines from the BCM to the IPC. When the IPC tells the BCM the mileage counter is nearing the end it in turn send a signal, via the class 2 data line to the radio to perform an audible chime through the speakers being as which the BCM uses the radio for all auditory warnings. And it DOES NOT illuminate a warning if an exterior light is inoperative.

49,965

Sounds like you think I'm making this stuff up. I've owned a Grand Am for eight years and my car has the "magical" oil life sensor. It not entirely mileage based but mileage is one of the factors along with the ambient temperature and duration of the trip. You can read more about the oil life monitor system at this GM web site - http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/simplified_maintenance_040104.jsp The BCM does iluminate the Service Vechicle Soon light if a headlight bulb is blown. On the fourth generation N bodies, the high beam indicator would flash when bulb was bad. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/2000_pontiac_grand_am_service_vehicle_soon_light

hunterman
60

i have a 2004 grand am and the service vehicle soon light came on want to the part store and thay could not find any codes so i started to look at it my self could not find any thing wrong with it i want to drive it at night all the paml light was out so i started looking at the fues and found the bad one and put in a new one evey thing came on and the service vehicle soon light want out so look at the fues in the car take one out at a time to see

Drea1984
15

I own a grand am, just got it and i did have an oil sensor appear. im not a know it all like some people like i said i just bought the car, im on here because my SSVS light came on and noticed you put there isnt an oil sensor when there DEFINETLY is one..it came on for me because my oil change routine was different from the previous owner routine..othere guys right

8T7GT
80

I own a a grand am. Go with what Tenspeed is saying. He's correct with the oil change light. I also had the abs/trac control light come on with the svs light. At first I thought it was just a wire connector issue. I spliced in a new connector but didn't solve the problem. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the hub. Lights are gone......

vickileep
170

What is the hub and what does it cost to replace? Thanks.

MartyKnowsPOScars
115

No the check engine light and the service vehicle soon light has nothing to do with the oil papa....on the grand am there is a Change oil light then you go through your procedure with the red button in the dash fuse box but thanks for trying.....the service vehicle light is BODY and the service Engine light is motor....the change oil light is change oil, just like low tire pressure.....security they all have their own protocols on what they cover.

Vaughn Tingley
245

@Jon... I own a 2001 pontiac grand am... a blown headlight does indeed activate the service vehicle soon light.. there are two service lights that cause confusion... service VEHICLE soon and service ENGINE soon. from what I understand the service VEHICLE soon primarily deals with mechanical or electrical (blown headlights or wheel speed/hub assembly for example) while the service ENGINE soon deals with emission and fuel issues (o2 sensors, gas cap, evaporation system as examples.

Samsam
40

I've changed my oil 2 weeks ago - (August 4th) and the "Change Oil Light" just came on. What could that mean?

49,965

The "change oil light" system has to be reset. You don't need to change the oil because something is wrong. The engine computer monitors how many times you start the engine, the length of the trip, the temperature, etc. and turns the light on when it determines that the oil needs changing. Turning it off is simple. Instructions are in your owners manual and can also be found at http://www.gaownersclub.com. The reset button is in the drivers side fuse box that can be seen when the door is open. Some model years don't have the button and require pressing the gas pedal three times. I have my instructions printed on the inside of the fuse box door.

bigozone
0

it might mean that you changed the oil BEFORE the "Change Oil Light" came on, and either you or the person who changed the oil forgot or didn't know to reset the computer by pressing the red reset button inside the drivers side fuse panel.... or by turning the keyswitch to the ON position (but not starting the engine) and then pressing the accelerator to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds. basic answer is your computer didn't know you had changed your oil. just reset the change oil light. and next time it comes on it means you need to change the oil ASAP because you are already 2 weeks past the 90% mark when the light comes on. (all of this computed by a formula that is linked to in a previous post, and there is not an oil life sensor that can tell you the state of your oil at any time, they base the time between oil changes on several factors like engine temps, length of trips, average RPMs, and other factors that include outside ambient temperature).

Vaughn Tingley
245

Basically the hub is what the tires attach to using the lug nuts. The wheel bearings are apart of the hub assembly as well as the wheel speed sensors. I replaced both my front hubs for $78 each, through Autozone. The rear hub assemblies run a little higher at around $100-110 I beleive. It took me just under an hour to replace each hub once I gathered the tools needed.

ND11
40

HI -tenspeed, my service vehicle light is on. All my lights have been replaced. My problem when the service vehicle light is on my stereo and heat/ac (that whole section) won't work. Do you have any ideas, we are thinking it's electrical. Can you help or can anyone give me ideas?

papa

could be the control panell is bad.

ND11
40

Is that something that needs to be replaced or just repaired? I guess I won't know for sure until I have a mechanic look at it, and they want to charge $90-100, just to hook it up to a machine. So not fair they charge that much just to tell me whats wrong with it. I was hoping someone here also had the same problem and can tell me what it is and how to fix it. Thanks for your help and please anyone else have any ideas?

papa

still say the control panell,where you turn the heat_ac on,that goes bad,I got a 00 GAGT,did same thing replaced it with one out of the junk yard fixed it right up.just pull cover off around it 2 screws unplug the 3 plugin,s replace.

49,965

Sounds like a loss of power to me. I'm assuming that it does return at times, so it wouldn't be something simple like a blown fuse. Could be a worn wire connector that feeds several circuits. Go to www.gaownersclub.com - register, search and ask there. Tell them what year and model Grand Am you have. Maybe someone there has experienced the same thing.

ND11
40

HI, Found out it's faulty wiring behind the stereo, heater/ac. Repaired the wire and everything is working, all lights on dasboard are now off. Just wanted to post this just in case someone else has the same problem. Thanks for your help.

ND11
40

Hi, finally took it to a mechanic and they said COULD BE, I need a new ignition key and switch and body control module, does that sound right. And how hard is it to replace the BCM, if that's the only part that needs to be replaced. Thank you again everyone who replies any help is greatly appreciated.

You think this is helpful.
ND11
40

Hi again, also the mechanic came up with 13 codes when he hook it up, hope thats has to do with the BCM and not more problems. Any ideas.

49,965

Get to www.GAOwnersClub.com site. Sign up (it's free) and ask there. There are dozens of people there that can walk you through your problems.

ND11
40

I just signed up. thnx

john032410
105

I'll let you guys know for sure this afternoon. I had a headlamp go out and the SVS light came on. If I replace the headlamp and the SVS light goes out, you will all have your answer. STAY TUNED!

john032410
105

Okay. I just changed the headlamp an hour ago and took it for a drive. Yes, The SVS light WILL come on if a headlamp is out.

kimbro17
50

howdy just replaced headlight but now how do I reset service vehicle soon light?

Chelsea Reinier
50

can someone please tell me how to get my check engine light off? they said i needed a new gas cap so i replaced it an the light still wont go out...???

49,965

Chelsea, if the old cap was the cause of your CEL, it will go out after a few driving cycles. If it stays on, get the codes read again.

Lei
20

both my service light and engine light are on. i recently replaced all my head-casket for my pontiac because i had a blown head casket. and those lights are still showing. what can i do to fix it or can sumbody tell me whats wrong with it? i have a grand am pontiac 2001

Mary Knorr
30

Thanks I agree, My 2002 grandam service vehicle soon light came, on and I had found out I had a blown headlight, and no codes, so I replaced the headlight, it went off, so that guy way above is wrong@!! Thx

Mary Knorr
30

I mean Jon, way above!!

slink420
20

jon your an idiot

slink420
20

Jon you dont know what you are talking about everything you say is wrong,everything you are telling people is the exact opposite of what the Grand Ams owners manual says.

Amber Baldwin
0

Okay so my service vehicle light is on and it only comes on when my auto headlights dont need to be on. When its dark my head lights automatically come on like there suppose to but during the day my parking lights and fog lights come on and my head lights stay off. I'm assuming its my sensor. I just want to know the price of the sensor?

Pamela Schwab
30

I just FAILED air care due to these codes: P0133 and P1133. The engine light is always on and I do remember pressing something in past for it to disappear. This time it is not.... please help...

Shelly Grover
20

yes I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT I'm having the same problem with the service vehicle soon light being on it only comes on when I do not turn my head lights on manually and drop it into gear if I leave it in park light does not come on or if I turn the lights on be for i start the vehicle put it in gear shut the lights off the head light stay on in the light goes out what could that be

Jumblium
10

Tenspeed knows of which he speaks while Jon 1415 is full of hot and incorrect air.