How much would it be to fix a pontiac grand am se?

Danny Sanchez
65

Asked by Danny Oct 30, 2012 at 05:27 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

"BREAK" light on and will not turn off? also the "ABS" & "TRAC OFF" as well as the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" all
turned on almost in the same week. my question is, what would be the possible cost of fixing this?

15,555

Lots of things. There is a good chance a bad wheel speed sensor can cause all 4 to come on. ABS and track off definitely come on for a bad wheel speed sensor and the brake light may be on telling you to scan for codes and the service soon light come on for stuff as little as a bad head light. Its a safety thing, and loss of and could fall under its category.

Best Answer
51,645

You have two problems. The first problem is the wheel speed sensor in one of the front wheels. Cost to repair should be around $300-$400. It's a easy driveway job if you have the tools. Call around for the best price. The second problem is in the engine. Go to a parts store and get the codes read. They can tell you the probable problems. Write down the code and go to GAOwnersClub.com for detailed instructions and estimates for repair.

15,555

Does it say service engine soon or service soon. The service soon won't come up with anything on auto zones cheapo scanner. Tenspeed where are you from? Front wheel bearings run $75-$150.

51,645

You can get just the bearings for those prices. I got my last pair at rockauto.com. Most people don't have the 36mm socket and 175# torque wrench to do the job. The $300-$400 price is at a garage and includes the bearing with a year warrenty.

15,555

You can pick up a torque wrench at a discount tool store for 20-30 and autozone rents those sockets. Remember that next time ten speed and save yourself $250.: )

51,645

I've done about ten hubs on various cars I've owned. I bought my socket back in the 80's. For the first timers, soak everything with WD40 / PB Blaster or whatever the night before. Paint all mating surfaces with marine grade anti-seize when reassembling. The prices are what people can expect to pay at their local repair shop.

Robert Lavallee
1,315

ha ha headlight making engine light come on??? the trac light is on because of a problem in abs. low BRAKE not break fluid could be cause of brake light (red one) which would cause abs to shut off. or could one of 4 wheel speed sensors or tha abs module or wiring anywhere inbetween so don't just go throwing wheel hubs at a car if you want to save $$ check codes in abs first.investigate reason before repairing.

Danny Sanchez
65

thank you so much guys every ones opinion was helpful i am going to do that today going to get the codes read to determine my next move. again thank you all you were extremely helpful.

Danny Sanchez
65

and unfortunately i dont think there is a tenspeed near where i live.

Danny Sanchez
65

oh i forgot to mention "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light is off now after putting in chevron gas the cap wasnt loose so that wasnt it, so i dont know why it came on but now is off thankfully

15,555

Robert, I never said the headlight turns on the service engine light. Of all the people in this question you talk trash about someones grammatical errors and then don't bother to read an answer completely and talk trash about it. A bad headlight can and does turn on a light that reads "service soon" and some cases its "service vehicle soon". That's why I asked the question "does the light read service soon or service engine soon?

51,645

Register over at GAOwnersClub.com There's dozens of people like me and one may live near you.