car will not start. when turning the key i do not hear the starter grind or click. i do have all dashlights

1109pajesw
0

Asked by 1109pajesw Sep 06, 2007 at 11:43 AM about the 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr GT Coupe

Tuesday 9/4 I started and drove my car roughly 25 miles to an appointment. When done with my appointment I got in my car and it would not start. I was out of my car for 20 minutes. I did not notice anything wrong when I was driving my car, no noises, and my gauges all read normal. When I turned the key in the ignition all I got was the normal dashlights and seatbelt sound. I heard nothing from the starter or the engine. After about 45 minutes I finally got the car to start. I had tried off and on through out this time to start my car. When I got the car started I drove it home. Again everything seemed to be fine. I turned the car off in my driveway then tried to start the car again and it would not start. This is the first time this has happened. I have tried since then to start my car and it will not start. My ignition key has gotten hot before. But I don't recall if it was hot that day.

dvigano
8,955

Hi 1109pajesw, Unfortunately, Grand Ams are notorious for this type of problem. This issue is normally associated with the theft deterant system and (to my knowledge) can only be resolved via the dealership. Hopefully yours (cross your fingers) may be a different issue. Good luck!

Mike Pennings
45

battery, re[lace is

A Facebook user
525

a 94 grand am does NOT have theft deterant systems other than the door locks. if the car started after tryin a few times within a 45 minute period its probably the starter. if its a 3100 (3.1L) the starter is at the front of the engine and can be accessed easily from underneth. tap lighty like your trying the crack the shell on a hard boiled egg on the end of the starter, when it won't start while someone is tryin to start it to verify that the starter is the problem. i say tap lightly because if you get it rebuilt they have a permanent style magnet on the casing and if you crack the magnet its junk and you will have to buy new. also make sure the check engine light/service engine light comes on the dash. i know you said all the lights come on but that is the most important one. if it doesn't light up the pcm has lost communication and could be faulty or just the connection goin in or comin out could be bad. hope that helps. p.s. i am a certified tech and drive a 1995 grand am

A Facebook user
525

that does not apply to the 94 model year.

Steven Brooks
105

actually this just happened to me you just need a new batter and u will run even better than b4