Engine Noise Problem

Ayoodunsi
10

Asked by Ayoodunsi Dec 17, 2013 at 09:46 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS

At the start of engine of a Montero Sport in the morning, it makes cranking noise continuously when the engine is running and after it runs for some minutes, the noise will subside and the engine will continue to run smoothly all day. It has been doing his for some months.

109,095

Cranking noise? Do you mean the starter will engage after the truck is started and engine running?

Ayoodunsi
10

The noise sounds like an engine knock when I start it in the mornings but after it runs for some minutes, it regularizes itself and work normally. The first time I noticed it, I thought probably the Oil Pump did not circulate oil but when I discovered that at times, the noise doesn't come up. I am beginning to wonder that something could be wrong that needs urgent attention and that if it not fixed on time, it could destroy the engine totally. I discussed it with my mechanic but he said if only I could leave it with him overnight but my job did not allow me to do so.

109,095

Your right, it's best to have someone diagnose the noise, I'd only be guessing. Hopefully you can find some time to drop the car off with the mechanic.

Tadbeach
75

My 2000 is doing the same thing. Did you figure anything out???

Mareksatx
10

I had a similar problem. My mechanic couldnt locate the source of the noise ,and said he would have to remove all the pulleys then he might have a clue! But when I was at inspection station,the other mechanic pointed to timing belt hitting its cover and he was right. Anyway that noise is gone now but my montero 2000 has not been fixed - after replacing timing belt and tension piston - engine is acting up .First - timing was off 2 notches, second time I had to take it in again - after 2 days I havent heard from mechanic yet.

Tadbeach
75

Thank you! I will look in to this!

James Johnson
0

I'm having the same problem with my 2000 also. Did you find out what it was?

Tadbeach
75

Not yet. Going to the shop this week. I will keep you posted.