Montero Sport Sputtering

Tsaez
20

Asked by Tsaez Jan 08, 2012 at 03:02 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD

My 2003 Montero sport sputtering when I slow down and accelerate. Sometimes it sputters when I'm stopped at a light……What is wrong?

Michael Perfeito
145

Is it a manual or automatic?

Tsaez
20

Auto....I was just told that I need to do spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gasket. The check engine light just came on today.

Michael Perfeito
145

Those could definitely cause it.

Tsaez
20

It's going in tomorrow for that and getting the timing belt, and water pump done also.

jstave
0

Curious if this helped. Mine is doing the exact same thing.

Tsaez
20

Yes it did, my montero is now running like new.

CalebHiggs
25

huh mine is doing the same thing, my mechanic said it was not due for a tune up for several thousand miles to reccomended service even, but I have also heard it gets carbonded up in the throttle body, heard spraying some o2 sensor and cat safe carb cleaner does the trick will have to try it.

Hank Compton
10

2000 Montero Sport is doing the same thing. What is the real solution?

Stephenmrt
0

it could be the crankshaft pully bolt. I had this issue and come to find out The Montero has a recall on that bolt. the bolt will work its way loose causing the belts to be loose & sputter. they will replace it for free with a better bolt.