can oil leak out of the manifold bolts on a 2000 mitsubishi montero sport

ckeyser85
0

Asked by ckeyser85 Feb 17, 2013 at 04:40 PM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD

judge_roy

...that one just doesn't feel right. I suspect a cracked block so much so that the manifold bolt holes have oil from the oil jacket getting into the cavity. If it's a problem and you're losing oil, or there is oil in the coolant...be worried, else I'd just put up with a little smokin'

56,145

Never seen one leak oil around manifold bolts. But have seen valve cover leak down onto manifold bolts. Have also seen valve cover bolts leak oil. Specially shortly after a valve cover replacement. They had worked loose from head. A little silicone or weak lock tight on threads when installing will help them stay tight.

Ro708
0

I've worked on one and it looked like oil was coming out of the manifold bolt but if you really look carefully it is coming from the front running down to the bolt. I think it's coming from the front cam seal. I purchased Oil Stop Leak made by BlueDevil and that stuff worked. Good luck with yours!

Daniel Foster
3,295

stop leak products are bad news,, im helping with a buddies truck right now that blew an intake manifold gasket from using bars stop leak,, plugged up a water passage on the head and melted the gasket from a lack of cooling.. do it right and repair and/or replace whatever is causing the leak, Ro708 or dandyoun is probably right, but get it fixed the right way

56,145

Daniel is correct. I would never advise to use some sort of stop leak agent. Fix it the right way.

Daniel Foster
3,295

by the way, if you have trouble tracking down your leak they sell this dye you add to your oil and then you can see where its coming from

Justino Sosa
105

sounds like a bad gasket check the valve cover gasket and head gasket

Don Sauce
20

I think that the oil leak is coming from the top cam seal and the air fan pushes oil towards manifold bolts. Then it lands on the alternator sometimes damaging it.