When testing How much should an idle air valve/motor move if in good condition.

75,295

Asked by dandyoun Feb 02, 2013 at 03:31 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS Spyder

Car just all the sudden stopped idling.  It will run fine while driving but at an idle it stalls.  Tested mass air flow
sensor and its ok.   Trying to test idle air motor.  With it out and key on it clicks when harness attached and very
slightly moves.  Movement is so slight that I can feel it move but not so much that the movement can be seen.  Wire
harness tests good for a ground and 12 volt actuation voltage.  How much should it move?  And might there be
another cause for these symptoms?

Rodney Harne
150

Take it to auto zone or other stores light it and have them hook it up to the computer to see if its throwin any codes might help narrow dow the long list of things tjat can cause this problem

75,295

I did and no codes showed up. Thanks for the input.

Rodney Harne
150

Have u un hooked or replaced the battery prior to this of so did you use a memory savor?

75,295

Not before issue. Wife was coming home from work and it died at the first stop sign she came to. It would start back up but stall at an idle. She drove it to nearest gas station and again stalled at idle.

Rodney Harne
150

Well ur ecu colud be dumpong to much fuel that me be whats causing the stall also try checking it i hope thats not the case but its not un common

75,295

Have noticed that the fuel pump is not priming when key is first turned on. Have swapped out fuel relays and it still does not prime. But as soon as it starts the fuel pump comes on. Could this be part of the problem? Should it be priming?

Rodney Harne
150

Yeah it should be i still think i would check into the ecu mitsubishi in that year had problems with the maf

75,295

Ok so we have made a full circle right back to where I started. (Maf) Will retest maf in the morning. Hate to bite the bullet and buy a new one but its looking like that's my next step. Could not find any used ones in my area today. Thanks for getting me back on track.

Rodney Harne
150

Yeah no problem but in some cases the ecu and maf have trouble communicating thats what i was getting at.

Rodney Harne
150

I want u to try something and post back take out a spark plug then connect to the plug wire touch the metal threaded end on bare metal u may need to clear some paint if it sparks its fuel if it dosent its electrical

Rodney Harne
150

P.s. ur going to have to crank it over to test for the spark

75,295

Oh It will start if I lightly hold down the gas pedal. And drives out great. Car runs perfect just won't idle. If I drive it till it warms up it will try to idle at around 400 rpms

75,295

Ok retested maf. Number 7 wire on harness should show less than 1 volt at idle or with just key in on position. And show 6 to 9 volts with throttle 2/3 of the way open. But mine is showing 7.6 volts at idle. I believe that the maf sensor is malfunctioning.

Rodney Harne
150

What a puzzle you know what ur doin by the sound of it so if u figure it out post what was wrong im stuped lol and very interested to know what the cause is.

75,295

Turned out to be bad idle air control valve. Thanks for your help

Brainotech
0

I'm having the same issue. i will first check the battery which is showing a good voltage, i dont know the amperage. if not its the IAC valve.