Air bag light lit

flagal
10

Asked by flagal Sep 30, 2013 at 09:33 AM about the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE

Can it fix this or do I need to go to a dealership.

DavidH25

Air bags are dangerous safety devices (is that an oxymoron?) that are NOT to be taken lightly and fooled around with unless you are a trained professional ...the Air Bags run a self diagnostic everytime you start your car, and if the light remains on a fault has been detected in the system. You need a dealer, or if you choose an independent shop demand to see a certificate that the mechanic/technician has been trained in Air Bag systems before signing a work order.

Best Answer
tommcmanis
3,425

The sir system is designed to set the light after a certain amount of run cycles, usually 5-10 years, or if a fault detected in the system,any thing from a poor connection. On some cars a simple dead battery can set the light a shop w an advanced scanner, snap on modis or equivalent should resolve the issue

18,195

Right David, not something that should be messed with, I saw a guy get his nose broke cause he had not followed procedures on a system and it deployed, and after that he lost is job.

tommcmanis
3,425

No bs I worked at a chrysler dealer ship and had a steering wheel recall I had a bag deploy in my face while walking across the shop floor

flagal
10

Thanks, wasn't sure if it could be a simple fix or not, mom was quted $800-1000 for diagnostic and fix.