Why do the interior lights stay on a long time?

Speakergal
20

Asked by Speakergal Aug 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM about the 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

For the first time tonight, when I exited the vehicle and locked the doors, the interior lgihts
did not go off in the usual amount of time.  They eventually did go off, but when I got int he
vehicle to drive home in the dark, the interior lights stayed on and would not turn off while I
was driving home.  I parked and exited the vehcile and the interior lights would not dim or
turn off.

BoholMark
21,975

They are on a timer. Giving you time to exit the vehicle and see what you are going. In theory anyway. You must have touched something that activated the light timer.

Speakergal
20

I am aware that the interior lgihts stay on for a few seconds giving you a chance to exit the vehicle, but when they stay on several MINUTES - like 5-10 before shutting off - I fear battery drain. If I touched "something" that activated the light timer, tell me what it was and how do I "touch" it again to adjust length.