I have a 2000 Grand Marquis that has the PATS light going off on dash, ABS and cooling fan coming on by them self, and a horn that is going crazy. What could be wrong?

Clay2054
0

Asked by Feb 10, 2013 at 02:59 PM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

I have a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis that has about 135,000 miles on it. 2 weeks ago I had the car
at a relatives and the horn started going off for no reason at all. I took it for a test drive to see if it
would stop and it wouldn’t the horn was going off while driving. I parked it and pulled the horn fuse
and this did not resolve anything. The horn continued to sound off whenever it wanted. I proceeded
to drive the car home. When I did smoke came up from where the steering column cover meets the
dash. The smoke dissipated and I didn't see any more. I then drove the car to and from work (47 miles
round trip) with no foreseeable problems. The next day I fired it up and drove to work and still
nothing wrong. I parked the car and worked a 8 hr shift. Next, I walked out to warm my car up and
the car fired up right away. When I went back after 10 minutes of warming up the car was dead. I had
a buddy jump the vehicle at work and it again fired up but then cut back out after like 45 seconds of
running. After that the security light flashes rapidly and car will not turn over. I now have a cooling fan
that turns on whenever it wants to as long as the battery is connected, a horn that triggers itself, and
I could hear the ABS system trying to kick in by itself. I have since replaced the radiator fan relay, the
EEC relay, and just replaced the ignition switch. None of this has helped. Now I can’t hook up my OBD
code reader. The reader says it can’t link to the PCM through the data link connector. I also noticed
that the check engine light will not illuminate when the car is turned on.  Further I took out the “brain”
and the cooling fan still comes on by itself. I had a family friend check all fuses and relays and
everything checks out ok. To me it sounds like I have a problem with the "brain"/engine control
computer or maybe a short somewhere. What suggestions do you have to fix this problem?

Mark Langolf
765

Check to see if FORD has a recall on your car also if have taken the brain out an its still having same problems after reinstalling the brain it may be time to get a new one from FORD or dread I say it put the car out of its misery.

natebaxboy
0

what's interchangeable with steering column for a 2000 grand marquis

richksiny
55

call a priest , i think its possessed