Why does by 1999 Grand marquis not start sometimes?

t98605
70

Asked by t98605 Apr 09, 2013 at 10:09 AM about the 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr LS Sedan

It has happened to me twice now, after driving in town going shopping at at a few places.  Each time I had it towed to the dealer and they couldnot find anything wrong with it.  It would start every time for them.  They now want to change all the relays and the crank shaft sensor.  The fuel pump is working, I thought maybe a relay switch or ignition switch.  Any ideas???????

19,335

when it doesnt start, does it spin over and try to start?

You think this is helpful.
t98605
70

No. When you turn the key it does nothing. But, let it sit overnight and it will start the next morning, every time.

19,335

I would check the battery and the connections make sure there is no corrosion and that the cables are tight.

t98605
70

I agree. I had the same thing happen to me with a camry I owned. After cleaning and tightening the cables it worked fine. I'll give it a try. Thank you

67,105

Don't have the dealer change anything. It's not a cost effective way to find out what is wrong. It is a way to get you out he door with a lot of profit. Narrowing down the items takes time and patience. - It starts every time for the dealer because something is heating up and failing. When it cools off, it starts. If you had waited in the parking lot, it would have started for you too. Open the hood and it will cool faster. -- Get the codes read to see if anything is pending. It could be that crank shaft sensor, so if you want to spend money, replace it. Relays either work or they don't. You might be able to swap them around if they are the same to see if it makes a difference.

t98605
70

Exactly! I thought about it and thought about it and decided to change the crank shaft sensor only. The heating up and not starting and the cooIing off and starting points me to the crank shaft sensor. I agree with you that the relays work or don't work. It will be ready for pickup this afternoon. Only time will tell. Thank you very much for you advice.

19,335

if it were a sensor the motor would still turn over. but since you said it does nothing when you turn the key it sounds like a power issue.

MrBlueOval
3,975

My '89 Crown Victoria was doing the same thing. It sounds to me like the ignition module is getting hot. Once they get hot the contacts inside don't work and the car won't even crank. Acts as if there is not even an engine in the car, nothing, nadda. After the module cools off the car runs normal until it gets hot again, once you shut it off, it happens again. Change out the ignition module and problem is solved. Now that 97 Gran Marquis has a 4.6 modular engine in it and I'm not sure where the ignition module is or if it even has one. If it's got a distributor then its got a module. If not then it's got a coil-pak and that might be where your problem is. Unfortunately I'm old school and don't know that much about the newer computer controlled cars of the past 20 years. They keep getting more technical every year but as much as things change, some things always stay the same. Something electrical is getting too hot and not working, let it cool down and it will work. I would check the coil-pak or if applicable, the ign. module. Good Luck, MrBlueOval / Kenny.

JimCar
60

I had same problem with 99 grand marquis. had to play with it to get it to start. leaving the AC and other electrics would eventually start. dealer had car 7 times and cost me over 1500 dollars. After 3 times ask them to replace the starter relay but the Ford mechanics said there was no relay to replace. they put in three new batteries, new starter and solenoid, ignition switch, new neutral safety switch, checked all electrical parts and still had this no crank problem about every other day. wife couldn't go alone int the car. Finally I went to alltech and got a Ford bulletin written about no crank, but was only given to Ford mechanics. The bulletin said problem is burnt or damaged relay. showed it to boss man at dealer and he put it on his desk. when I went back for my car they said it needed a new battery. The bulletin still on his desk and not moved. I am a pretty good mechanic and electrician but can't physically do work on cars, but I located a relay box close to the battery which has 2 high current relays. I removed the smaller one and the car would not crank. I went to local auto parts and got a new one (in stock) cost $12.00 PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!! FORD part # FOAB-148192-AA Cost 12.00 an took 20 seconds to unplug old one and plug in new one.. I will be writing FORD about this and the $1500. JIM C.

Mikee2000
10

I have a 199 GM as well. Similar problem, but mine does not start when cold. First time, ALL electrical was dead. I had to manually unlock the door to get to the hood release. Then I "wiggled" the fuses and relays near the battery and the car started fine. Twice after that the car would not start, but interior lights and power door locks functioned. I popped the hood, "wiggled" the relays and fuses. The car started fine. This "may" be related to heavy rain/water effecting the engine compartment. Two of the three outages happened in the middle of heavy rain and one a day after rain. Reading other's comments I'll replace the relays and wait to see if it happens again. My battery connection/cables are pretty solid, but I'll clean them up and re-install them as well.