how can i get the fuel pump to work?

terryvideau
0

Asked by terryvideau Feb 02, 2014 at 02:43 PM about the 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr GS Sedan

the car stopped, and i Thought it was out off gas, so i Put gas in it and thefuel pump will
not work.

62,495

If you ran it out of gas the pump is probably fried.

26,295

Dandy is most likely right, sometimes you can get them to work one more time by thrumping on the fuel tank while someone cranks the engine, just make sure the car is blocked and the park brake set and if it dose start don't shut it off until you get it where you want it as it most likely won't start again.

jamnblues
8,045

So the car stopped- what caused it to stop? It wasn't low fuel- how do you know the fuel pump isn't working? There are many reasons a car will stop running- are you just guessing it's fuel? These old Ford products have primitive engine management systems called EEC in FordSpeak and this system relies on dozens of sensors to give information to a computer- I have seen that if any one of those electronic sensors fail, the engine will stop running- are you sure the problem is a fuel pump and NOT one of those 2 bit sensors?

Paul Whitlock
875

If you do decide to replace the fuel pump, dont buy the cheapest one out there, unless you want to do it again in a couple of weeks. You get what you pay for on fuel pumps

helmutkarsten
10

Left, inside the trunk is a little box, with a red button. Depress the button, start the car w/ a gas-sprinkeled-on rag in the air-intake. The red button is a sort of fuse/breaker to shut the fuel-pump off, in case of a bump/accident. This is how I got mine running again. The car had a 'bump' when it got loaded up on a wrecker, after a rear-tire blowout.

Donald Celestine
40

I parked my 2005 mercury grand marquis in the driveway last nite and today when i started it, it was running like it had a bad miss! Then it killed on me! I tried to start it again and it was just turning over! So i disconnected da fuel line running to the fuel filter then had a friend turn over da engine to see if gas was gonna shoot out the line but there was no gas coming out! Thinking it was my fuel pump i bought a new one and changed it! I still got the same problem! I checked a few relays and fuses but came up empty handed! Any suggestions?

Donald Celestine
40

I even checked the fuel reset button in the trunk! Still nothing

Donald Celestine
40

The fuel pump is not coming at all! We checked the pump with wires to see if it works and it does work but not on the car

Centureon
0

did you the fuel relay in the power distribution box in the engine compartment? Then pull the relay out, put your meter on plug pins to check the voltage to the coil of the relay. Then, locate the relay contact plug pins and short out with a jumper. you are applying voltage directly to the fuel pump. Check if car will kick-over.