One of your posted answers regarding replacing "ECM" if vehicle cranks but does not want to start

Onevoice
0

Asked by Onevoice Jan 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM about the 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr LS Sedan

My vehicle cranks as well but does not want to start.  Mechanic suspects fuel pump shot.  Im just trying to figure out what a "reasonable" quote is to replace the fuel pump.  Quote I received was $478 for pump, seals, filter, strainer.  thank you

45,605

$400-$500 is a reasonable quote for replacing the fuel pump. The pumps are not cheap and the tank has to be removed to replace them. Call around to other shops in your area to confirm the estimate.

MrBlueOval
2,555

I agree, the fuel pump is electric and located INSIDE your fuel tank. To replace it the tank has to be drained, taken completely off and taken apart plus the pumps are very expensive now, not like the old cars with mechanical $25.00 pumps on the engine. Call around and check 3 or 4 different reputable repair shops. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval.

Michael Tutty
4,065

Before you touch the tank, one thing. Check the inertia switch! On a Ford product, that is often the problem. On the Grand Marquis it is located on the driver's side hinge of the trunk lid. All it takes, sometimes, is a parking lot bump to trip them. Not many mechanics think of this, since Ford was the only company to include one in the system. Personally, I think they are a fantastic idea!