cruise control stopped working any ideas?

bigbadaddy
265

Asked by bigbadaddy Apr 15, 2011 at 03:59 PM about the 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr GS Sedan

Everything on the the car worked when I got it! She has 92xxx miles on it now, but my cruise control just out of the blue stopped working.

585jim0
245

Could be a bunch of things. Did ya check the fuse

bigbadaddy
265

yes tried the fuse no luck. checked the servo deactivation switch on brake pedal also.

585jim0
245

Humm. Check the vacuum lines

bigbadaddy
265

no vacuum lines, but I do have power to the module under the hood, possibly a bad module?

585jim0
245

That could be. There's not much to that system. And from the way it sounds. Its the only thing left. Let me know. Ok

bigbadaddy
265

what exactly would I be looking for with the vacuum lines. all help would be greatly appreciated.

bigbadaddy
265

cruise module didnt work when swapped out.

Mark Langolf
335

Possible fuse relay wore out, did you also have it checked for the recalls on the cruise control that came out a few years ago?

bigbadaddy
265

mine had no recalls on it.

585jim0
245

Look for cracked broken or dry rotted lines

585jim0
245

Another thing I thought of. Check the linkage from the carb/tbi. It goes from there to the control. If that came off. It wont hold the carb in position. Do you have a light on the dash telling you the crude is engaged

bigbadaddy
265

nothing lights telling if cruise is on or off.

bigbadaddy
265

Would I worry about the inside of the car, or just under the hood?

585jim0
245

Then this kinda leads me to beleave there's something eletrical involved. And you said there's power getten to it. I don't know. Im kinda at my wits end. Sorry I couldent help ya more.

fan4elliott
20

Speed control on 1997 mercury grand marquis will not come on. The speed control indicator light does not display on the instrument cluster. Fuse #6 also controls the main light switch, headlamp dimmer switch, lighting control module and clock, all of which work but no speed control. I have had the recall work done but still no speed control.

Mark Langolf
335

Have you taken it in for the manditory factory recall on all 92 to 97 model year GM's ?? Should have gotten a thing in your mail about it back like in 2005 or up to current depending on when you bought the car. also check fords web site for current recalls. The cruise was a known issue when they put this body style out an they didn't do anything till after the 2000 model year came out. It should be covered by ford. If not then your local junk yard should have the control module an wiring for no more than $100.

bigbadaddy
265

Found the cause, there is a wire with a blue tag under the mastercylinder with two non-servicable fuses 2-amp fuses. I saw one in a 97 GM took it out, replaced the one on mine and my cruise works like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tpgun4u
40

there was a recall on the harness that controls the cruise control that is located near the brake master cylinder. if you take it to a dealership they will replace it free. might start working.

OldsVistaCruiser
60

I had the same problem. The blue sticker tells you to replace it with Ford kit 9F924. My local dealer had the kit, and it was $25.60 after tax. It includes a jumper harness and the speed control switch that senses brake fluid pressure to disconnect your cruise when you step on the brakes. The 2-amp "non-serviceable" fuses ARE serviceable - if you can find a 2-amp blade fuse.

OldsVistaCruiser
60

My speed control shutoff switch was slightly leaking brake fluid, and was pretty much shot/shorted, so I went with the Ford kit. I couldn't even get a wrench behind the sensor to unscrew it, so I had to use a vice-grip around the body of the switch. Fortunately, Ford changed the switch so you can use a 7/8" wrench on the new one to tighten it. You should have the phrase "SPEED CONTROL" light up directly under your speed display when the cruise is actually controlling the car's speed.

Tommyguns45
0

I just got back from an electronics shop I dealt with before about 2 years ago. I took it there because the rear window defrost wasn't working. They did a great job cause they fixed that and also my cruise and lighter that never worked before now did. My cruise seemed to stop working when I had a new remote starter put on replacing the old one on my 98 Grand LS which has only 80K. Today I took it back since it bothers my hand on a long trip. He said its a spring in the steering column. So counting taking that out and air bag it the part is $125 and total cost counting labor would be $200.. I declined since it wasn't a safety issue. Its my trunk is bigger then my wife's car for luggage or just stocking up on groceries. Anyone can contact me what to look for under the hood wiring or fuse wise would be helpful. tommyguns45@gmail.com I see a question below their car wont go out of park. My shifter was hard to get out of park if on an incline and had to rock the car back and forth as someone tried pulling down on the shifter. Before putting in park I always put the emrgy brake on first. It will release itself once you start and go forward just a hair but will stay on if just backing up. If no room to go forward first back up a bit and then forward. It will release the brake.

Bill Ewart
0

I had to have my on-off switch replaced when mine quit working last year. Now it just started not turning off when the brakes are applied. I wonder if they are having more trouble with cruise control than what they are letting us in on. Mine is a 2006 with 14000 miles on it.