Front End Creaking Noise

cdberkman
45

Asked by cdberkman Jan 01, 2011 at 09:28 AM about the 2004 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I have a 2004 Town Car, 75000 Miles. I have a creaking noise that I cannot for the life of me, pinpoint. This noise is coming from the front driver’s side. It will only make noise when the car is in motion, turning from side to side (more noticeable at slower speeds). I cannot hear any noise if I physically push on the front of the car or rock it back and forth (Outside the car). Again this only happens when the car is in motion. The noise will disappear when it is wet outside, either during or just after rain or carwash. Once everything dries up, the noise re-appears. I also have a noise what appeared to be something loose behind the dashboard (same side). I ripped everything apart (inside the car) and cannot find anything.  This knocking noise started before the creaking noise and now I think they are both connected. When it is wet outside, both noises disappear. The weird thing is that the one noise sounds like it is coming from inside the car (behind the dashboard) and the other sounds like a suspension creak. Took it to the dealer twice and they could not find anything. Note: I cannot feel anything in the steering, suspension, the car drives perfectly straight, does not pull.

Jeff Leeper

check the metal plate on the back of the rotor (engine side) make sure it isnt bent and rubbing the rotor.

cdberkman
45

Thanks for the feedback. I went back out and pulled both front wheels off. Nothing is rubbing or bent and everything looks tight. I lubed everything down again, but nothing pops out (or is staring me in the face). All of the rubber boots around the ball joints and linkage are in tact. I have stuffed rags around all of the body parts in the front end. There is no play in the front wheels either left and right or up and down. Talk about elusive (and frustrating).

Jeff Leeper

out of curiosity, have you ever had the bushings replaced with polyurethane ones?

cdberkman
45

No. Bought the car with 30k and now has 75k. I have not done any work on the front end. I will see what happens when I inject some greese in the ball joints and tierod ends. If that doesn't work, I will check the bushings.

Jeff Leeper

get silicone lube and spray the bushings, see if that makes the creaking go away. If it does it may be time to look into replacing them

VOITURE
10

just came across this forum and was reading thru when i noticed your entry. i also have 2004 TC. there is a service bulletin 04155 for this problem. something to do with front spring insulators. also logged with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA item number 10011151). the dealer could not confirm that my vehicle had this problem although it also has front end squeak. they did, however, grease the hood rests/stops and seemed to minimize the problem for a while.

Cheryl Taylor Lanney
50

I have a 2004 Town Car. I was having creaks and squeaks while turning wheels and occasionally on a bump. It got worse, then, as above, rain could lessen noise for a bit. I know what it is, just cant think of the name for the part. I looked at them and saw where it was the problem while on the rack. I thought it was the Non-greased bearing in the wheels. Actually, I was shown underneath the front end and there are 2 obvious brackets, about 5-6" at longest section, and there are two off them on each end. the one on the pssgner side is very loose. He shook it and it made that squeaking noise and was noticeably loose tot he hand. The driver's side on was tight. Was told its a wear-part...about $50 for the part. I just cant recall what its called. One word in the name of it is "idler", such as in "idler arm" but would have to be some brackets that hold it in place or something. I have to fix it asap. If anyone has read this far and knows what part i'm referring to, please let me know? It looked quit simple (with correct tools). Thanks

1finetime
20

HAD THE SAME NOISE ON MY 2010 TOWNCAR. TURNED OUT TO BE THE HOOD PINS ADJUSTMENTS. TRY TAKING THE CAR FOR A RIDE WITH THE HOOD POPED OPEN. IF THE NOISE GOES AWAY, GREASE THE RUBBER CAPS ON THE PINS WITH WHITE GREASE. GOOD LUCK

cowtowncar
25

I have had this happen after an alignment. Loose bolts caused it. Rear of sub frame, 15/16 Camber adjustment bolts. The LOWER Front Control Arm To Frame torque is 220 Ft-Lbs.