Lincoln Town Car 2002 --Just had rear air bags changed. Air compressor fills them up, but when car is off, the bags deflate completely. I bought this car new, so I know that the compressor comes on sporadically, when off, and this is not happening! Please Help!

Harmoneyjo
30

Asked by Harmoneyjo Jan 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM about the 2002 Lincoln Town Car Signature

DavidH25

The air lines to the bladders can deteriorate

Harmoneyjo
30

But the compressor isn't continually running. It was continually running when it was off , and that is what made the mechanic check the airbags, which were dry rotten. I would think if it was an airline leak the compressor would run after off. The compressor, I know runs sporadically, after car is off to continue leveling. This is not happening at all. Once off , the airbags just deflate, and do not reinflate until car is turned back on. Could this be the sensor, or I read something about pins or fuses, near the compressor, which gets the compressor to come on, when the car is off. I don't know where I saw this! Please assist!

DavidH25

Yeah, there are height sensors, and the compressor will re inflate them until the car is at proper height even when it's parked...however there is some sort of timer or something that after X amount of time it will not come back on, to keep the battery from discharging from constant re inflation. I know nothing about pins, but it is fused

Best Answer
45,765

Sounds like a slow leak in one of the air lines or fittings. I have used a liquid product called Snoop to find air and natural gas leaks. Once a leak is covered, it starts making bubbles. Maybe kid's bubble solution would work to a lesser degree to find out where your pressure is going.

Harmoneyjo
30

DavidH25 -Would you know which fuses under the hood, controls the air compressor. I did read that a fuse under the hood, controls the air compressor when car is off. The compressor is not coming on at all when car is off. .

Harmoneyjo
30

tenspeed, Could be a slow leak, but compressor should be coming on trying to compensate. Seems like a fast leak - Car goes from high back end to low fairly quickly!

DavidH25

A fuse does not control anything. A fuse only breaks an electrical circuit when it is overdrawn. There is a height sensor that controls the compressor. When so much time goes by, it will not attempt to pump again and again when the car is off, or you will have a dead battery

Harmoneyjo
30

So - it sound like something is wrong with the height sensor, right? If so, How much do you think it would cost to change the height sensor (I presume 2 of them), or do you think they need changing - My problems look like there is no height sensor at all!

Gary Bonney
0

I have a 1998 TC Signature that has demonstrated similar symptoms,I found issues with the Grounds & Their Splices. You might check your grounds from the battery positive to anything that needs to have a ground check for 12 volts & adequate voltage at the connector in the trunk, the tan/white & brown & purple wire (on a'98) should go to the air bag solenoid that tells it when to open. Until I repaired the grounds and splices the reading was down to less than 6 volts. That is where I wold start.