1998 Lincoln Town Car Lights go out when car is running? Dead battery?

Asked by L0ve2Drive Nov 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM about the 1998 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I have a 1998 Lincoln Town Car, the headlights and the dashboard light and the interior cabin lights when the door is open go out, tuen off, when the ignition is on and the car is running. When the car is turned off, the headlights and the dashboard light and the interior cabin lights come back on.  The following day, went to start the car, and won't start, acting like a dead battery, not even a clicking sound or an ounce of power.  Don't know if this is related, but when driving the battery light would come on,  brand new battery and  had the alternator checked while on the vehicle at Autozone & O'Reillys. -Please help.  -Thanks.

Yikes! This is a tough one. Letting you know I am researching, OK? But the headlights are on an entirely different circuit, they have a breaker, not a fuse, so the will not fail completely, it will get hot, cool, and re- set it's self. There is a delay to leave the headlights on after you shut it off, may have something to do with that. Meantime hopefully somebody will know more

Sorry, I came up empty. Not from lack of trying I'll tell ya. Those cars have so many bells and whistles it may be time for a professional. Unless somebody here has better answers than I do. Good luck