AC/Heater

smokinjo44
45

Asked by smokinjo44 Nov 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

With ac on, I have no control of temp., and when I turn right, the heater comes on max. If heater is on(at max.,no control) and I turn left, the ac comes on.

DavidH25

Yikes, that's really odd. Turning the car does this? I almost think this is a trick question, so weird. Try setting it on the "set and forget" at whatever temperature you are comfy with. That will turn on A/C, heat, whatever without you having to do anything and will retain that temperature. But remember 'defrost' will turn the A/C on to remove moisture, but still blow hot on windshield.

DavidH25

Or, when it's hot outside, turn left a lot. If cold, turn right all the time. Sorry I couldn't resist that.

smokinjo44
45

I've heard all the jokes. LOL!That's OK. Hey, when I turn on ac, you get max, diff. fan settings though, max or lo and all in between. Get defrost, or floor also. If the heater is on, you only get max heat, and all fan speeds. This is no joke, that's why I posted this problem. Would appreciate any help.

DavidH25

Seriously, I am stumped. There are folks that know more than I do on this forum, hopefully somebody will come through

smokinjo44
45

Thanks for trying/Joe

DaveKo
20

Did you hear a click click click for several weeks before? If so, it's the temp control motirized baffle behind the dash. The gear teeth are gone. You can remove the glove box and manually move a lever with your index finger but this is an awkward area to reach. I've gone through the summer with it turned to cold and held in place with putty. Then had to dig out putty and wait for it to switch back with a hard turn. Now I am in always heat mode until warmer weather when I turn it back. Only alternative is to have the dash removed and replace the motorized baffle gear. Sucks because the dash removal is expensive if shop does it and a mess if you don't know what you are doing and do it yourself.

You think this is helpful.
smokinjo44
45

Thanks, appreciate your input, I have had so many different answers, one is about a ground, maybe loose/not making ground, at fuse panel, and somewhere around front right wheel. I am still lost. And I am an electr. tech!! And a good one too. So, haven't had much time to do trial and errow lately. Gotta get back on it, wife wants another car now!