my 97 lincoln town car has white smoke coming out of the exaust some say its the oil rings and pistons or oil rings then some say it could be the head gasket but i did overheat in the winter from wate

slamm
0

Asked by slamm Sep 21, 2012 at 07:51 PM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

68,135

White smoke is an indication of coolant/water entering the combustion chamber and burning. So I'd say you have a headgasket issue. You can verify this with a compression check of all the cylinders.

DavidH25

I would like to start by saying that Tom knows more than I do. Hands down. If you choose between his answer and mine, go with Tom. I would just like to add that white smoke could be oil entering the combustion chamber also, and burning as he described. Does the coolant seem to have oil in it? OR, pull the dipstick and if it is far overfull you are getting coolant in the crankcase. Headgasket either way. Less likely is broken piston ring(s). Especially if it overheated