1997 Town Car air suspension

roajr04
15

Asked by roajr04 Mar 10, 2011 at 01:12 PM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

Hello, I turn the key to the on position to hear if the air compressor will start "pumping" But all I hear is a click now. Before I would hear it "pump up" I have no codes or check air suspension light & the tail end is not sagging. I feel the ride is a tad bit stiff, or maybe I'm just crazy. Also in the rear there is a hose that sticks up off of the differential shaped like a candy cane going nowhere. Any clues to what my problem might be? thanks

michaelcamran
25

Please have a look at this website. I am sure you must have your answer: http://www.strutmasters.com/lincoln-town-car-suspension-parts-s/37.htm

Town04tim
10

If the air ride is still inflating the bags then I wouldn't worry about it as generally the bags go before the pump but check the wiring to the pump for shorting. The candy cane hose is the exhaust tube for that perspective air bag. Do not attempt to plug as the bags WILL remain filled causing the stiff ride you are describing. Hmm..Did you plug the hoses?

stevekantercool
120

As long as the air bag system is working properly, its a great system. But, as soon as it starts going bad, it time to replace it. Many places sell conversion kits for Lincoln Town Cars. I have been converting Town Cars to coil springs since 1996, and have done hundreds of them. The rear coil spring part number is CS817, which you can get at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, and others. The ride is great, and once the conversion is complete, air bag problems and their expense is a thing of the past. "Coil springs will last a lifetime, air bags won't".

Ron Shepard
30

Absolutely NO need to buy the conversion kits......simply purchase the original equipment coil springs. I bought the original equipment coil springs for my 97 Lincoln towncar cartier addition for $98 from Oreilly's and paid my local shop $80 to take out my air bags and install them. The ride height in the back is much better, the steering is better and the ride feels more stable. I should have done this years ago!!!! He then simply pulled the fuse for the air ride compressor under the hood and now all I have to do is cut the wire for the dash notification which is behind the glove box. Less than $200 for the complete job.....