check engine light on 1996 Towncar

sarault
0

Asked by sarault Oct 19, 2012 at 03:53 PM about the 1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature

DavidH25

Lincoln Town cars made after 1995 usually have the OBD-2 system. The new codes begin with a letter indicating what system in the engine is malfunctioning, followed by a series of numbers . The key "On/Off" method works on older vehicles; the digital dash and jumper-wire methods work for newer vehicles.

DavidH25

For more see: ........http://www.ehow.com/how_7251108_retrieve-car-trouble- codes-equipment.html

Best Answer
John Leone
3,845

to start, the check engine light means something is not working properly, auto zone, napa, and parts store can and will usually check the computer and see why the light is on. i recommend runnin it by either David (up top) or myself or the forum BEFORE buying any recommended items from the places, as their intent is to make money selling, and not concerned of their accuracy to diagnose, or you tomorrow....so definitely post what ever trouble codes they print out, or say, and lets start there....

DavidH25

Good point John. I got ahead of myself and the question. @saurault: listen to John's post. It's better than mine.