? LEXUS RX300 TRANNY ISSUES OVER 120K MI...SHOULD I BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY TO GO TO 200K?

drdave
0

Asked by drdave Jun 04, 2012 at 02:08 PM about the 2002 Lexus RX 300 Base AWD

EXPLAINED  ABOVE...

Jesse Giswold
345

It depends on how much the extended warranty is and exactly what is covered under the warranty. It may be better to forgo the warranty and create a real and substantial car repair fund that is completely separate from your regular accounts.

drdave
0

IF A TRANNY IS $4500, & THE 5 YR/100K MI WARRANTY IS $2600, PAYABLE AT $170/MO X 15 MO. & COVERS LIKE NEW CAR WARRANTY INCL ELECTR WINDOWS, SEAT MOTORS, ETC....AUTO ASSURE CO.....SEEMS LIKE A LONG SAVING PROGRAM TO COVER REPAIR....

Jesse Giswold
345

If you are having your repairs done through the Toyota/Lexus dealership, then I can understand $4500 repair, but I guess I deal with repairs a different way. I find my own rebuilt/remanufactured transmission, buy it, and have a trusted mechanic install it. It shouldn't cost over $3000. Or find an independent tranny shop and have them rebuild your old unit or replace it with a rebuilt trans that they source. I honestly would NOT go do the dealership for this repair, they will rob you blind. The only reason I would be partial to the savings idea is that the $2600 is a 'definite' cost, whereas the repair bills are merely a 'potential' cost. But it seems that you don't care to fuss around with all of this, and it may be in your best interest and peace of mind to opt for the extended warranty. This may be your best choice.

drdave
0

AT 75 y.o. SOME OF THESE REPAIR MANEUVERS DON'T HAVE MUCH APPEAL...AUTOASSURE WANTS (NOT INSISTS) ON LEXUS/TOYOTA REPAIRS; SO IF A BREAK-DOWN OCCURS WHILE TRAVELLING, MY TRUSTED MECHANIC WOULD NOT BE IN SIGHT... THANKS FOR THE INPUT....I AM STILL SOMEWHAT UNDECIDED ON THIS ISSUE...PEACE OF MIND IS A FACTOR...