Overheating issue

Choirck16
55

Asked by Choirck16 May 21, 2013 at 01:57 PM about the 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Last summer, my jeep overheated. A friend of mine said it was probably the sensor, since the fan would work when he tested it, so he ghetto rigged the fan to a fuse inside the car. The connection was shotty at best and kept coming out. I didn't have issues during the winter as it's cool around here. Now that it is getting warm, the Jeep started overheating again. I had someone else look at it and determine at some point that the fan motor burned out. It was replaced, but still had the wire rigged to a fuse to turn on with the ignition. The connection still sucked. So I decided to replace the sensor. I paid a shop to replace the sensor. Now the fan doesn't come on at all. After doing some driving, the water boils. Every time. Sometimes it will get so hot it will boil over. I have to wait for it to cool off and put more water in. I was going to buy the relay switch, but I want to know before I do if this is the issue or if I'm overlooking something else. I don't want to keep just replacing parts and have it continue to not work. Thank you for your help.

lfeqlbrm
65

Did you try replacing your thermostat?

Choirck16
55

No, I have not. But it does register the temp on my gauges. Would the thermostat cause the fan not to come on when it's supposed to?

65,495

The engine is not supposed to over heat at all. Having the fan running does not cure the problem. The only time the fan should energize is when you're stuck in stop and go traffic or the Jeep is towing heavy loads up hills. Sometimes they come on with the air conditioning.

Choirck16
55

My jeep doesn't overheat just driving. If I'm doing freeway driving or not much stop and go it's fine. It's only when I'm doing a lot of in town, stop and go driving (ie: lots of traffick, Idling, things like that) and on warm days. I know that the fan is not coming on when it is supposed to and that is the issue with the overheating. When the fan was hooked up to the fuse box and it was coming on all the time, it was staying below temperature. It does not turn on when I idle (even if the engine is getting hot). I'm trying to find the issue with why the fan would not be turning on.

Choirck16
55

Anyone have any help for me????

sworrl
60

No answer yet but i have a similar issue. When my Ac is on the engine begins to overheat. When i turn the AC off, it cools back down. The pwm fan seems to be spinning slowly and i wanted to test it. What wires to i jumper to test that the fan is good?

memeselfandi
10

There's a fan relay located under the right head light. You either remove the bumper or cut into the headlight plastic mounting to get to it. I cut into the mounting, bend it out, replace the relay and tape it back with duck tape. The headlight assembly slide over it. No one will see.