AC not working

AMC
45

Asked by AMC Nov 15, 2010 at 03:30 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

After  refrigerant was recharged,  the AC of my Grand Cherokee (2002) stopped working. The clutch engaged from time to time but for less than 1 minute, then it disconects again.
Could you help me trying to find what is happening???

Rich Snow
10

need new compressor

Stephen Counihan
35

Or possibly just a new compressor clutch

papa

LOW PRESSURE SWITCH is bad or it is overcharged(,certifed in auto ac systems.)

AMC
45

how can I check if it is overcharged??

AMC
45

how can I check if it is overcharged? somebody told me it could be the high pressure switch. Surprisinly today I turn A/C on and it works but I do not know for how long it will work.

papa

No on the high pressure switch,take it to a garadge that does AC repair,tell them you want the pressure checked should be 40 psi,it can be done in a few min,may not charge you anything,$5.00 at most, if overcharged they can release the psi to normal can all be done in 5 min.

AMC
45

Thanks I will check that pressure in the system is not over 40 PSI. Today my A/C works almost all day, after it stopped working I just turn it on and off a few times and then it works again.

papa

yea have psi checked,but sounds like the low pressure switch is going bad,quick check,unplug wires from switch,use a jumper wire in plugin,just put wire in each prong,see if it stopes working(ac) if it dont stop,you will know the LPS is bad,do not jump wire the switch just the plugin.