Stalling and rough idle problem.

dolfan
190

Asked by dolfan Nov 09, 2011 at 08:50 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

My 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0l recently started  having rough idle problems. I did a tune up..changed the plugs.....replaced the coil rail.....air filter.....gas filter. The idle is still rough and now it stalls suddenly. It has stalled while I was highway driving.....sitting at a light...ect. It doesn't seem to be the fuel pump as I can hear it come on when I turn the key. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

Dolfan

Matt Mankinen
1,745

If you can HEAR the fuel pump, then that might be the issue. Normally fuel pumps get really noisy when they are beginning to fail. Due to clogged fuel filters the pump fails soon after. Replace both or get the fuel pressure checked at the fuel rails on the engine. Other possible issues could be crank sensor or intake MAF sensor. Wouldn't hurt to take some MAF sensor cleaner to it and also clean out your throttle bottle. I think there is a idle control sensor in the throttle body near the butterfly valve. Check that too.

dolfan
190

Thanks Matt. I changed out my cranksaft postion sensor. I got the error code off the odometer and AutoZone said it was the sensor. I just swapped it out so we'll see if it stalls again. If not I'll look into the fuel pump. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

dolfan
190

I have had no more stalling or rough idling so I guess it was the crankshaft sensor. Thanks again for the response Matt.

Matt Mankinen
1,745

You're welcome.

Tom Hammond
0

I had a similar problem with my 2000; finally solved with new fuel filter. the fuel filter is also the fuel pressure regulator.