Leaky reservoir

swnorris
0

Asked by swnorris Apr 19, 2014 at 07:34 AM about the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

My "add coolant" keeps coming on every other day or so.  At first, it was once every couple of weeks or so, and I just added a little water to make it go off.  It seems to have gotten worse because because now, about every other day or so, I have to add water to my reservoir to make it stop coming on, and I'm adding more water than I used to have to add.  Also, now I'm noticing that the carpet on my passenger floor, underneath the floor mat is wet.  I can only assume that the water is leaking out of the reservoir and somehow ending up in the passenger floorboard.  Please help.  Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.

BoholMark
10,425

It's your heater core that is leaking. Its under the dashboard and is a big job to replace.

Best Answer
swnorris
0

My mechanic told me that if the heater core is leaking I would definitely be able to smell antifreeze/coolant inside, but I don't smell it. I had noticed a small puddle of liquid on the ground below the passenger floorboard and mentioned all of this to him, as he just replaced the engine about three weeks ago. He did a pressure test and said ..... "I had 18-20lbs of pressure on the cooling system yesterday for ~20-25 minutes and looked at the following components for leaks; heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump, as well as the radiator. None of them showed any signs of a leak anywhere. The water pump was replaced as well as the thermostat when the engine was out. I checked the radiator level and it was full as well. I think maybe its time to try and find a new reservoir and hose from the reservoir to the radiator. Like I explained yesterday, there is no way to pressure test the reservoir, so it is very possible that it is seeping slightly and leaking out over night. Especially considering it is located directly above the area that you are noticing the fluid". "I think maybe it's time to try and find a new reservoir and hose from the reservoir to the radiator". Also, the hose coming out of the reservoir is not very long, maybe a foot long, and I was wondering if this might be part of my problem... i.e., too short to keep exiting reservoir fluid from going on the ground and not possibly somehow ending up on my passenger floorboard. I've heard that the heater core replacement is expensive and I was trying to eliminate all other possibilities. I've already spent almost 4k on the engine replacement, and was hoping that it may be something else. Our financial situation is not good, especially after the engine replacement. That's why I've turned to Jeep experts, in hope that it could possibly be something other than the heater core. I was going to order a new reservoir today, so I know that it shouldn't leak, as opposed to getting one from a junk yard. I bought a longer (3 ft.) hose from O'Reilly's. One end connects to the reservoir and the other end just hangs down. I haven't put it on yet. I basically know nothing about vehicle maintenance, and I just don't understand how the radiator could be completely full and I have to keep adding water to the reservoir. If you can think of anything I might try, troubleshoot, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

BoholMark
10,425

Well that's good news! But the water gathering on the floor is a concern BUT not as bad as a leaking heater core. Look at the A/C evaporater hose that drains the condelinsation out underneath the Jeep. It's not a big deal. Ask your mechanic to take a look and blow some air into it to clear out the blockage.

swnorris
0

Mark, Thank you so much for your suggestion. God bless you!!!!!

BoholMark
10,425

Thank you and have a blessed Easter. :-)