Cost of Replacing a Cylinder Head Gasket JGC 4.7 V8

Hutchy
125

Asked by Hutchy Nov 03, 2012 at 07:10 AM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

My 2000 JGC WJ 4.7 V8 has recently lost power, is idling rough and is getting harder to start.  I've checked the coil pack (all ok) and checked the plugs, (although dirty they are working).  I think I may need to replace the head gasket.  Can anyone advise how much this is likely to cost?

Thanks,

Ian, (Belfast NI)

John Leone
5,435

well, still have to eliminate other potentials, if you are knowledgeable you can buy a pressure gauge for the cylinders, and remove the spark plug, and check each one, doing this confirms each cylinder, individually to either be fine, or damaged, v-8 means you have 2 gaskets, to change one eh, might as well do both, (why do it again in a few months), with the exception of having the head "machined" most vital part....don't use a straight edge, or let anyone "eye-ball"it,. do it right...you'd need, gaskets, coolant, NEW head bolts, might as well do the intake gasket, valve cover gasket, (each comes in complete sets), and can often be purchased in 1 WHOLE SET for you. for pricing, check around, auto zone, car quest, and machine shops vary, but are available, what is the zip-code you are located?

Best Answer
Hutchy
125

I did the pressure check and double checked the plugs and injectors. It seems that dirt from the fuel lines had clogged the injectors and rotted the plugs. Solution: Replaced all plugs, cleaned all injectors, replaced the fuel filter and fuel pipes. It worked. Jeep is running smooth, with quicker pick-up and acceleration and improved mpg. I've lost a small degree of psi on one cylinder but its not noticeable. Thankyou for responding John. It was very helpful

John Leone
5,435

glad to help....message any time