whats the grinding noise in front end.

jho
200

Asked by jho Apr 21, 2012 at 04:33 PM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

drives fine, front grinding gets louder as I accelerate.

Paul Whitlock
995

sounds like you are losing a front wheel bearing, unless it changes when you hit the brakes and then it would be a brake problem likely

Best Answer
ChrisandDonna Hayman
115

or a shaft is on its way

jho
200

i took off the barring on the one side... there was just 1/16 of little play in it, is that enough to make such an loud noise? I hope its not somthing to do with a differential barring or somthing. How can you tell. theres no play in it, I had it up to 80 mph and it was fine, just loud. shafts seem tight

Mike Zaba
785

I have had wheel bearing with no play roar really loud. wheel bearing will tend to change its tone on turns. It will get louder turning one way and quieter turning the other way. If it does not change you may have to raise the vehicle securely and run the vehicle in 4 wheel drive to try to pinpoint the noise. Good luck!

Seth Bruns
775

Check your differential fluid/transfer case fluid. Make sure they have been changed regularly. Is the noise present in 2WD (if you have selectrac)

dadee61
0

2000 jeep grand if i move it to part time the noise stops

Daniel Banks
0

I am Having the same thing going on with my 2000 jeep grand if i put it in part time it stops

James Marsala
0

I also have a 2000 JGCL that started doing this same thing about 100 miles after getting the front dif fluid changed. They assured me that they put the friction additive in but when I challenged them on it they agreed to "put more in" for free. At first they tried to blame the noise it on the transfer case but I'm too stuborn for that because I know the noise was traveling down the front driveshaft which made it sound like the TC. After doing 2 figure eights in their parking lot the noise went away. If you didn't change the front dif fluid lately then you probably have a leaking axle seal and low or no front dif fluid. Oh, btw, "they" = dodge service department.