whats the grinding noise in front end.

jho
120

Asked by jho Apr 21, 2012 at 04:33 PM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

drives fine, front grinding gets louder as I accelerate.

Paul Whitlock
745

sounds like you are losing a front wheel bearing, unless it changes when you hit the brakes and then it would be a brake problem likely

Best Answer
Chrisanddonna Hayman
95

or a shaft is on its way

jho
120

i took off the barring on the one side... there was just 1/16 of little play in it, is that enough to make such an loud noise? I hope its not somthing to do with a differential barring or somthing. How can you tell. theres no play in it, I had it up to 80 mph and it was fine, just loud. shafts seem tight

Mike Zaba
595

I have had wheel bearing with no play roar really loud. wheel bearing will tend to change its tone on turns. It will get louder turning one way and quieter turning the other way. If it does not change you may have to raise the vehicle securely and run the vehicle in 4 wheel drive to try to pinpoint the noise. Good luck!

Seth Bruns
435

Check your differential fluid/transfer case fluid. Make sure they have been changed regularly. Is the noise present in 2WD (if you have selectrac)