jeep grand cherokee starting problem followed by rough idle and will not drive.

tcelius91
0

Asked by tcelius91 Jun 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

my jeep was running just fine since i bought it back in February, just today it started
having problems starting, it would turn over a bit i would turn it off and then tried starting
it a second time and it would turn over and start up but with a lil sluggishness to it.
then as the day went on running errands it did this everytime i tried starting it, starting
on the second try. after i got home i let it idle for a bit while i was looking under the
hood and it had a rough idle. i went to put it in drive and it would just about die if i tried
giving it any gas. i put it back in park it started idling rougher until it died shortly after.

does anyone have any ideas what this could be? my grandfather thinks it could be a
fuel pump, vacuum hose leak, a pressure problem.. kind of a broad range of ideas... i
have no clue what it could be

Ward46
25

plugs or plug wire not attached

Ward46
25

check spark plugs or wires,you may only be running on 5 of 6 or 7 of 8.

Nick Garrett
235

if it hasn't lately, then give it a tune up. check the fuel pressure at the rail to see what you are getting. might also check your throttle position sensor and clean your idle air control units

Hutchy
95

I had a similar problem with my 2000 jgc 4.7 v8. It turned out to be sediment from fuel tank, travelling through fuel lines and affecting the injectors and plugs. Plugs showed heavy corrosion as a result. Solution for me: Replace fuel lines, fuel filter and plugs. Cleaned the injectors. Jeep is fine now though I'm still looking for a cleaner gas tank. Ian. Belfast. NI.

rafaelcolome
0

Bottom line you've got a bad Crankshaft sensor and a bad Camshaft sensor. Jeeps are notorious for this problem. I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee limited and could have saver $1000 if I would have replaced just the Camshaft sensor. I went through 7 months of suffering. A camshaft sensor will not show up most of the time in a scanner. Most of the time the scanner will only show a bad Crankshaft sensor. 1st replace the Camshaft sensor for $28 at Steve white motors ask for parts 828 464-3458. Ask for Nick or Keith. Take care. Rafael. PS. make sure is all Mopar no Generic garbage.