What type of gas?

Kevin Myers
25

Asked by Kevin May 01, 2008 at 07:27 PM about the 1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

I just bought my A4 yesterday and I need to get some gas soon. What kind of gas should I use? I know it suggests you use premium, but is that necessary? Will plus or regular work just as good?

Thanks

Lucas Hobson
145

It will work but it might cause damage to your engine. The engine has a low compression ratio because of the turbo and 87 octane will not burn as well. I have an '01 S4.

Carl Berwald
265

I HIGHLY SUGGEST 91 octane or higher. (look at the inside of your fuel door). Even the tiny smart takes premium. Not using premium can cause turbo damage which is very expensive.

James III
185

Premium is necessary. Plain and simple. It's not a suggestion nor is it some kind of "maybe." You risk seriously damaging several engine internals by using just one tank of plus or regular gasoline. Plus, what've you got to worry about? You just got an A4 and the premium gas gets you better mileage than the others.

Julian Vaiana
165

Whenever you have a turbocharger its a good idea to use premium gas. Especially if you bought it used and the previous owner used premium, its not a good idea to witch to regular.

Eric Redderoth
45

chevron premium. worth the price

Elizabeth Anderson
35

Definitly premium.....why fork out for a great car and bugger the engine with crap fuel.

Gaby Rivera
25

MY OPINION... ALWAYS THE BEST ... but maybe for that year i assume that they will told you , premium.. so i guess by now could be de middle one.. but even that i will go witth premium

Cole Flatz
95

Premium for sure. I have a 98. The engine will knock if you use less octane... It won't get you hardly any better mileage but you still need it.

Michael Cavalier
105

Use what ever it says on your book or gas cap. Your car is programed to burn a certain octane. If its meant to burn 87 then put 87. Since it is a turbo vehicle you will probably be using 91-93 octane for the slower burning fuel which reduces your chance of knocking.

Jen Gi
35

A4's are made to run on premiums only, any other type of fuel hinders their performance.

Alex Hon
25

definately go with the higher octane. the higher octane fuel burns much better than the others. the higher octane will keep your engine much happier and increase performance of your ride even though its more, ALOT more expensive

Stewart Wheeler
75

Premium only, any thing else will cause damage to both the engine and turbo.

Ross Geller
55

Hi-test, 93 octane is all I used when I owned mine. Used 89 once and i noticed a lag, idk if you will with 91, but the 93 for me worked great, and do not use fuel additives, they are a waste and actually corrode your gas tank

BreeAnn Thomas
135

Premium is the only way to go. Without the high octane rating, you risk knocking and damaging your sparkplugs, especially since it's the turbo'd version.

mlp
190

I recently purchased an '03 Audi A4. The dealer (not Audi dealer) never told us to use Premium gas! I filled the tank with regular and now the car is running crappy...knocking and the engine light flashing! I was advised to put an Octane booster in which I did. Still have 3/4 tank to use up. Still knocking...any suggestions?

mlp
190

Thank you for the reply....... I do not think it is "pinging" I don't hear any loud noises...just running really rough and engine light flashing. It was running wonderful until after I filled the tank with reg gas the next day it started running bad and trying to get passed 45mph is very shaky. Also idling at a light the car vibrates terribly! I don't know anything about cars so I am concerned putting the regular gas may have damaged something.... Hopefully running the gas out and filling with 93 octane will help significantly. Is driving it until then hurting the engine? I did put one bottle of octane booster in the tank....Thank you for your help! ML

Cole Flatz
95

Welcome to the world of Audi's...

Cole Flatz
95

redline your car for a FEW MINUTES!??! do that if you want to buy a new engine, that would be a great way to blow it up. crotch rockets are completely different.

Adam Morgan
4,195

Don't run the tank out, drain it put the right stuff in. I believe the 1.8l runs a static compression of 9.3:1 and is boosted to ~7psi so roughly it behaves like a ~13:1 compression engine.... At that compression predetonation will happen regardless of retarding timing so damage will begin to occur, it's not like the 300c where it can sacrifice it's efficiency to prevent damage. (SRT8 only runs 10.3:1 to put things in perspective) Now drain it before you damage the valve seats.

Adam Morgan
4,195

Sorry was meant for the guy who said ' Hopefully running the gas out and filling with 93 octane will help significantly'...

mlp
190

I'm a woman, not a guy, and now I am REALLY confuzed!!! Too many conflicting answers! I guess I will see about emptying the tank somehow... thanks for all the reply's though!

Chase Sutherland
3,965

running one tank wont damage the engine. and i figured trying to drain the tank wasnt really in this person capabilites. hence the reason i suggested just running it out

Tim Bucklin
125

Good lord there is some serious misinformation in this thread. 1) Don't use less than 91 octane -- there is no savings. You will get worse MPG and worse performance, nullifying any $/gal savings at the pump. 2) One tank of lower octane should not hurt the engine unless you drive aggressively. Run it out, don't use regular/plus again. Motronic uses the engine's knock sensors to retard timing, but it can only do so up to a certain point -- about 15 degrees. Stay out of boost if you can, drive it at part-throttle and shift early. Keep the load low and you'll have enough overhead that you won't blow anything up. To the user whose car is already running poorly -- you have a bad coilpack and one of the cylinders is misfiring. That's why the check engine light is flashing. This is unfortunately incredibly common. Stop driving the car. Get a diagnostic tool and scan your car so you can figure out which one it is. Go get a new coilpack from the dealer or an independent parts place and swap it in. You don't need any tools, it takes 2 minutes. Old one pops off, new one pops on. Part's $30. If you need more help, go over to forums.quattroworld.com/a4 and ask. Worse-case scenario, have it towed to the dealer.

Anthony Lavezzo
55

Why would you not put premium in it? the difference per fill up is at most 10 cents a gallon. With a 15 gallon tank your saving a whoping $1.50 a fill up. I only use premium.

Matthieu Lafrenière
10

Hi, I had the same exact problem with my Audi A4 1.8T 2001... I did fueled on Regular (87), then Premium (91), then regular (87), etc. Now I know it's a bad mistake! Stick with 91... always! (Even when the prices are sky high!) I also ended up replacing all 4 spark plugs and 2 coils (I will change the other 2 this week!) I also have a rubber hose that has a vacuum leakage... (I think the part name is a boost sensor that is attached to the side mount intercooler (for the 1.8t engine)) I'll post back when the repair is done, to tell you if it got rid of the problem! Please check this link for further infos... Many other guys have had the same problem! http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=FcQ8BPfVAJQ&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DFcQ8BPfVAJQ%26feature%3Drelated

Kyle Porto
10

i deffinitly use Shell 91 or Other Brand 93. I did use plus once (89) and noticed a difference. My friends say its all in my head and say i should use regular but i notice a big difference right away and use 93 ever since! runs sooo much better trust me! *99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

ConspiracyRealist
90

Kevin, don't believe all the Dale Jr. wannabe's on here. Using regular (turbo engine or not) does not blow up your engine, nor does it do any damage to your turbo. It does lower the performance output of your car, but let's get real. Will you be able to smoke the asian kid with the suped up ricer if you use regular? Probably not. Will you be able to quickly accelerate for lane changes and passes? Yes. It's all about what you want to do with your car. Honestly, if you bought the car to feel like your %*&*# is bigger, then you bought the wrong car. (Not saying you did and no offense) Don't feed into the hype about Premium vs. Regular gas, especially from people who only know what they read on the internet. Does anyone here on the forums have a degree in mechanical engineering or chemistry? Most likely not.

papa

GOD knowes gas is high,if manual says prem,run it,mid grade might work with oct bost,never run regular.

Bella730
0

@Tim your awesome!!! Can you be my personal advisor!!!! Just bought an A4 yesterday... i'm in love.

Douglas Curtis
100

Premium vs Regular, what is the difference, and will running the wrong type of gasoline hurt your engine? Both fuels are graded by their comparison to octane, and premium is NOT better quality gasoline; it simply is more like octane than regular gas and burns slower. In a high-compression engine, regular gasoline will burn too quickly and make a 'ping' noise when it completes it's burn before the piston reaches the top of its stroke. The ping is an explosion and over time may even burn a whole in the piston. It also puts unnecessary pressure on rod and crank bearings. In this situation, burning regular grade gasoline will harm your engine. You can mitigate this by retarding the timing, and in the old days we would tune a car 'by ear' by test driving various timing settings until we eliminated ping. Newer cars automatically retard timing and eliminate ping, so the short answer is NO, burning regular gasoline will NOT harm a modern engine designed to run on premium gasoline. So will running premium gasoline in an engine designed for regular cause harm? No. However over time premium will produce more firing chamber deposits in the lower compression engine because it burns slower than regular and does not completely burn up.

Krankenwagen2010
30

Well Kevin if u start using cheap gas in a FSI engine u will experience high carbon build up and even if ur car is under warranty the dealer will run some test guided by audi tech line and u will end up paying crazy repairs . I been an audi tech for the the collection (02 -10 ) and for audi pembroke pines and every time I have any audi i will try to Perform warranty in misfires due to carbon build up . They will make me call tech line and charge the cust , so be real carfull on what u pump into ur tank my advise as a tech always pump good gas and u will gain better gas mileage and to keep ur engine clean. THEKRANKENWAGEN@GMAIL.com

mzneeko
0

I am no expert on Audi's. I have an 08 a4. PREMIUM IS BEST! I was using Mid-grade, i realized the car was squeaking, switched to PREMIUM and the squeaking went away. Not sure if the gas was the issue, but it seems like it was.

walnuts129
10

Audi is an awsome car I recommend buying 1

walnuts129
10

This is 1 bad ass car.....it handles like a dream....if u do not own 1 get rid of that peice of shit ur driving and buy an audi

walnuts129
10

She's so pretty

jpballer
0

I have a 2008 audi a4 2.0 turbo S-LINE and you can tell a difference of how the car drives with different octanes. Definitely 91 or higher octane is the way to go! Your car will run so much smoother. Now im going to get another 2003 audi 1.8t avant for the wife. Audis are handsdown best cars ever built!

dpittolo75
0

so thinking of getting a 2013 A4, but the maintenance scares me. Jpballer - what kind of repairs have you had being your car is now 5 yrs old. One headlight now w/the LED is $940, someone told me they had to replace.

Stonegate
0

I have a 2008 A4 convertible - I just paid $1280 to have my convertible top sensors changed. The top was down and would not go back up.

Declan Conroy
10

If your engine doesn't knock/ping using 87 octane then use it. Your 0-60 time might not be as high but there is no point in using high octane other than to prevent knocking. The computer automatically adjusts to prevent knocking.

bobby49wsn
25

...I've owed 2. An old 1986-5000, bought in Canada, sold it at 250,000 miles and a 1992 station wagon sold with 200,000 miles. Gas prices at a $1.00 elevating to $2.19 at 28 to 30 MPH for the 86 5sp, and the 92 with 19 to 23 MPH. All Audis are beautify autos, but the car owner needs to be aware that the cost is High, today, at $3.46 prem/per gallon...

bobby49wsn
25

...And, there only was, WAS ONLY, prem. fuel you should have purchased-Standard Oil (A) know owed by BP. I felt Audis cold run only on this pem. fuel-but no more!...