Battery drains when jeep is not started for a few days and have to recharge battery

Kimberly Smith
0

Asked by Kimberly Jan 10, 2011 at 06:36 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE

If I do not drive my Jeep every day the battery drains and has to be recharged.  In the process of changing the alternator and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a fix for it before I invest a lot of money into it.

Calen Weed
245

You have a electrical draw on the battery. Like a stereo or alarm could be a bad battery to with only a surface charge

HAPPYG
50

ON THIS YEAR OF JEEP 95 REPLACE THE BATTERY I REPLACED THE BATTERY ITS FINE .I WAS TOLD THAT THE RADIO-ALARM-ARE NEEDING POWER FOR MEMEORY ,A SMALL DRAIN OF THE BATTERY AFTER TIME GOES ON DAMAGES THE CELLS IN BATTERY.A FRIEND TOLD ME HE REPLACES THE BATTERY ONCE A YEAR HAS NOT ANY PROBLEMS AFTER THAT .I REPLACED MY BATTERY AND ONLY DRIVE IT ON THE WEEKENDS BEEN FINE FOR 5 MONTHS-I WILL BUY A BATTERY ONCE A YEAR NOW ////???? GOOD LUCK

Matt Mankinen
1,515

Check all your wires for corrosion or proper connection to battery and alternator. Have battery and alternator tested. (Yes, in some cases new batteries could have premature failure to cells) Also check for accessories that may still be drawing power after the ignition key is removed. Glove box light, interior lights, stereo, amp, etc...

jeepluvr
205

check the conditon of the wiring connections to your starter. I had this very same problem, if your battery and alternator tests fine ensure there is no corrosion on the connections to the starter.

Mike Jee
265

if not driven for more then a couple days turn your alarm off

tjmalys34
105

I have had the same problem with my previous battery however this was on a 2002 grand cherokee. my alarm system was draining it for some apparent reason. There was a constant draw from it because of the poor charge maintained while running due to alternator problems. If you change your battery and it happens again check your wiring through to your grounds and get your alt checked at a local parts store. Hope this helps.

Randy King
755

If you find small current draws, like your alarm system, stereo, etc are putting constant drain on battery, use a solar charger plugged into the lighter socket (assuming you park outside) Otherwise wire up a trickle charger if in your garage, keep it plugged in. Normally you should be able to go several days between starting and the battery should stay up.

raeudy
130

I am having the same problem. Had a new alternator installed & battery checked out fine but when it sits a couple days the battery drains & seems to be from the security system cause it will start blinking when the engine is starting to turn over. Then I have to get out & put the key in the door to stop it. But it does it again. My remote no longer works either. Is there no way to unhook the security system?

moorekevin905
10

Have the same problem draining my battery.I have a after market radio in which i think is killing the battery.Also have interior light problems.Have disconnected inside lights before but battery was messed up by then. Brought new battery but seems to keep draining aloso

Mickey Beck
10

I'm having the same problem/ Anyone know how to fix this shit?