Battery drains when jeep is not started for a few days and have to recharge battery

Kimberly Smith
0

Asked by Kimberly Jan 10, 2011 at 06:36 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE

If I do not drive my Jeep every day the battery drains and has to be recharged.  In the process of changing the alternator and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a fix for it before I invest a lot of money into it.

Calen Weed
355

You have a electrical draw on the battery. Like a stereo or alarm could be a bad battery to with only a surface charge

HAPPYG
70

ON THIS YEAR OF JEEP 95 REPLACE THE BATTERY I REPLACED THE BATTERY ITS FINE .I WAS TOLD THAT THE RADIO-ALARM-ARE NEEDING POWER FOR MEMEORY ,A SMALL DRAIN OF THE BATTERY AFTER TIME GOES ON DAMAGES THE CELLS IN BATTERY.A FRIEND TOLD ME HE REPLACES THE BATTERY ONCE A YEAR HAS NOT ANY PROBLEMS AFTER THAT .I REPLACED MY BATTERY AND ONLY DRIVE IT ON THE WEEKENDS BEEN FINE FOR 5 MONTHS-I WILL BUY A BATTERY ONCE A YEAR NOW ////???? GOOD LUCK

Matt Mankinen
1,925

Check all your wires for corrosion or proper connection to battery and alternator. Have battery and alternator tested. (Yes, in some cases new batteries could have premature failure to cells) Also check for accessories that may still be drawing power after the ignition key is removed. Glove box light, interior lights, stereo, amp, etc...

jeepluvr
255

check the conditon of the wiring connections to your starter. I had this very same problem, if your battery and alternator tests fine ensure there is no corrosion on the connections to the starter.

Mike Jee
365

if not driven for more then a couple days turn your alarm off

tjmalys34
155

I have had the same problem with my previous battery however this was on a 2002 grand cherokee. my alarm system was draining it for some apparent reason. There was a constant draw from it because of the poor charge maintained while running due to alternator problems. If you change your battery and it happens again check your wiring through to your grounds and get your alt checked at a local parts store. Hope this helps.

Randy King
935

If you find small current draws, like your alarm system, stereo, etc are putting constant drain on battery, use a solar charger plugged into the lighter socket (assuming you park outside) Otherwise wire up a trickle charger if in your garage, keep it plugged in. Normally you should be able to go several days between starting and the battery should stay up.

raeudy
330

I am having the same problem. Had a new alternator installed & battery checked out fine but when it sits a couple days the battery drains & seems to be from the security system cause it will start blinking when the engine is starting to turn over. Then I have to get out & put the key in the door to stop it. But it does it again. My remote no longer works either. Is there no way to unhook the security system?

moorekevin905
70

Have the same problem draining my battery.I have a after market radio in which i think is killing the battery.Also have interior light problems.Have disconnected inside lights before but battery was messed up by then. Brought new battery but seems to keep draining aloso

Mickey Beck
40

I'm having the same problem/ Anyone know how to fix this shit?

aidman78
160

Hello, I know this is an old forum, but i need to comment. i have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo that i bought for my daughter to use. the battery was brand new when i got the jeep, but soon after purchasing it i would find if it sat a few days without driving it the battery would be completely dead. i searched online, asked my mechanic friends and didnt hear of anything that made sense to me. Today i had some time and an empty garage so i again tackled this annoying issue in hopes to get to the bottom of it and finally figured it out:2thumbsup: I read a lot about the MUX/T TOW fuse that is under the hood as that is where my draw was coming from. about 175ma i read that someone had a bad door switch in the back door (hatch) so i tore in to the door and while having the dc amp meter installed in the 50 amp fuse location started unplugging different connections under the plastic cover of the back hatch and after about minute i noticed the amp draw dropped to 12ma. So I started plugging things back together and found the latch switch for the glass window was the culprit. so i also left the hatch switch unplugged to avoid that problem later. I will crack another beer and maybe i will attempt on of my other many tasks. :cheers2:

You think this is helpful.
jdyingram
20

I also read on a Jeep Forum that the 1995 is known for the under hood light to stay on after the key is turned off and will drain the battery.

rw2359
0

Have 2010 Jeep Liberty. Battery died, was charged 2014. Battery died again, replaced 2015. Only 12,000 miles on jeep. In this cold in Michigan, if not driven for a day or 2 it dies. Multifunction light came on a few days before it died however the manual said that means that gas cap is not on right or bad gas. Never did it say it pertained to battery. Dealership said that the light was because of the battery.

Jonathan Rodriguez
160

You guys need to listen to aidman78 he is correct on how to keep the battery from draining. Iv spent countless hours researching the battery drain issue and found the culprit is exactly as aidman78 states. I will post pictures for some of you that just want to remove the sensor. Its also not that difficult to replace in case you want to find one at the junk yard will post pictures later k.

nejdarab
20

h-I have a 1999 grand cherokee doing the same thing. would appreciate the pics. thanks

babycare814
10

Jonathan if you have pictures that would be great. It would help me alot. I would like to let everyone know 1 thing I found out. The rear wiper and tow were running mind down once before. I got a new wiper motor and have not had any problems for over a year but after the cold winter my battery has not wanted to stay charged. I can run it one day and in a day or 2 it is dead. We are going to try taking out the fuse again and see if that is the problem. Any other suggestion please feel free to let me know

firebird338
7,570

This may help someone my next door neighbor has a 2001 jeep grand cherokee and his battery would drain after about 3 days of sitting and the alarm would go off . He ask me to take a look at it for him and i found out that his cigarette lighter was the culpit . Did not have a voltage tester to test voltage but here is a simple and easy way i found to check to see if voltage draw is fixed . First make sure battery is fully charged install battery and connect negative terminal to negative post on battery then slightly drag positive terminal over positive post on battery if you get a spark and ark you still have a voltage drain but if you found whats causing the drain like when i removed his cigarette lighter and did not get a spark and ark then you know you have found the problem . I hope this helps someone .

Mommaspc
0

Where's the pictures? Jonathan?

Jonathan Rodriguez
160

Sorry Mommaspc for not getting back right away with pictures I will post some this Thursday. Iv been so busy everyone with all the work I have had to do to my truck these last couple of weeks you all will probably laugh. So far I have changed parts in the steering wheel because I had the death wobble. I changed the shocks in the rear because it was causing me to bounce into other lanes not fun. I changed the water pump it was leaking not fun. I changed the spark plugs multiple times because of misfires and idle issues , i also forgot to mention its a 97 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo v8. I found out the main reason its was misfiring was because of the cables being mixed up for instance 5 was in 7 and 7 in 5. I found that for my particular model its rated at 40 gap for the spark but up it to 45 and has helped with idle. I also replaced the idle control valve so far it idle pretty good about 500 rpm in park but will update when i replace the throttle valve and ignition coil. I cleaned the terminals connected to the alternator and it increased my volts. I replaced my steering stabilizer to help with making turns. I emptied my ac canister with a pump and refilled with r-134a and now my ac in my car feels refrigerator cool, keep in mind it was like 115 the other day too hot. I replaced my catalytic converter and muffler twice, the first time they were old and they both needed replacing. The second time i ran SEAFOAM in the gas and the stuff from the engine ran down the exaust and got caught in the cat where it looks kinda like a honey comb design long story short the air was restricted because the holes got filled up and the pressure that the engine was pushing caused the comb to tear apart and shoot pieces in my muffler, i wish i had pictures for that but i was too pissed that day and just wanted to replace them both. I had the power drain from the battery that was caused by the alarm not turning off because of the rear hatch switch being bad. i also got voltage to high or low on the 02 sensor on the check engine because of the missfire and a Governor Pressure Solenoid code because i was a little low on transmission fluid it could save you guys atleast 4-5 hundred instead of replacing the parts. I still have to replace the passenger locking mechanism because it doesn't lock with the power switch. Theres more iv done and will update when possible and please keep in mind most of the stuff had warranties and me and my brother has done all the work ourselves so once im finished I will probably have spent 4500 to 5000

Timothy Overton
0

You have something draining it maybe a dome light or radio.

Jeepmad
10

Are you using the key fob to lock the jeep if you do you are arming the security system on the jeep this will use loads of power and flat the battery in less than 2 days. Use the manual locking to not to set the security system this is on the drivers door then when you stut the drivers door it will also lock ☺

2000grandcherokee
20

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with just over 238,000. Bought this car with just over 35,000 in 2003. It's been a great reliable car and always got me from point a to b without a problem. This is the first problem I have really had with my jeep. The battery would drain if it sat for more than a couple of days. I started out with the most obvious problem, the battery was 11 years old, so I had it replaced and my alternator tested. The problem came back. It spent a week at the jeep dealership and they couldn't find the problem they unplugged just about everything there is to unplug. So I took it to my wife's friends husband who works on electrical stuff in cars and it only took him a few hours and he had the problem solved. It was the rear windshield wiper motor that was draining my battery! A replacement wiper motor was about $400 from the dealership so I just had him unplug the motor because I can live without a rear windshield wiper! Hope this helps!