my 2007 Santa Fe with 93000 miles has the check engine stay on all the time, but the car is running ok. when adding fuel the engine will run rough then after a minute runs fine. but the light stays

fman49
0

Asked by fman49 Jul 08, 2013 at 04:25 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD

My Santa Fe with 93000 miles has a check engine light that stays on.  the engine is running fine except when I add fuel.  After I added the fuel and put the gas cap back on, it runs rough and hardly will move.  But after I turn off the car and start the engine the car runs fine but the check engine light stays on.  Can you help?

Lars Cats
2,605

Try replacing the fuel cap with a new one, there may be a speck of dirt blocking the breather hole causing your problems.

Frank Chilberti
40

I replaced the gas cap and disconnected the battery. I was told that would reset the system. the light went out for a few days but came back on. I just filled up the tank and the engine ran rough again. Can you think of anythingesle I can do, save taking it to the dealer and have them change me an arm and a leg to diagnois the problem. I'm leaving for vacation in a week.

45,675

Is your check engine light back on? If so go to a local auto parts and have them check for codes. They will do this for free. Then post back on here what the codes are and this will give use a better idea as to what your issues are. Drive Safe.

Frank Chilberti
40

They checked the code and it was P0441. Can you help, thanks.

45,675

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441 --- this will give you some info on that code

snorkeldragon
10

Replace the fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel rail. This regulator has a small diaphragm inside that wears out over time. It will cause rough idling, no starts, bad mpg and fuel relay burnouts. The part will cost about $45 plus install.