My 2000 GMC Yukon xl 2500 4x4 trans gets hot.

David Leflar
0

Asked by David Sep 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM about the 2000 GMC Yukon XL 4 Dr 2500 SLT 4WD SUV

My 2000 GMC Yukon xl 2500 4x4 trans gets hot. When I drive uphill, no towing, no load, the trans runs
about 210. Downhill, no problem! I was thinking the stock cooler is plugged(?). Someone told me the TC
was going bad but I have no shift problems. I am going to put on the biggest trans cooler that will fit
but I think that might just mask what the real problem is. Any tests I can do? I need to get this fixed!

19,885

The vehicle is a tank and depending on the grade and distance you may be asking a bit more than what she can handle. If the cooler was so plugged that it didn't cool there would be some more serious issues than just overheating. Does the truck have a secondary cooler other than the radiator? The conditions you are mentioning would fall under the extreme driving condition category rather than a standard one. I'm also curious as to where you are getting this temp reading from.

8,285

from what i understand the trans is supposed to get hotter than the engine under load. 210 shouldn't be overheating as 210 is a decent operating temp

19,885

That's what Chrysler thought in the 90s to. Notice how many dodges ended up having trans replacements at 60,000 miles. My wife's dad has a 98 dodge ram at just over 100,000 miles and its on its second trans. 210 isn't hot but it is over normal and that will quickly cause premature wear.