2001 Audi A4 1.8T started ticking

neogx89
0

Asked by neogx89 Aug 23, 2013 at 07:22 PM about the 2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Hi everyone,

I need your help

I recently got a 2001 audi a4 after my 03 jeep cherokee died on me (RIP). The audi has
been driving so well, until this morning on my way to work. I started the car, and heard
a loud consistent clicking sound. I was confused, but once i drove off it disappeared
and when i stopped, it came right back. I drove to work anyway. After work (8 hours
later) I started the car and the clicking wasnt there at all so I thought thank god, but
then i get on the high way then get stuck in traffic then the clicking came back as soon
as i stopped. But once again, when i drive it goes away. Im HOPING I just need an oil
change being that the last oil change was with the prior owner and according to the
sticker I have about 700 miles before I get a change. But after researching online, I see
people talking about a tension belt and such which I AM HOPING isnt the case
because I cant afford that at the moment. What do you guys think it could be? And
would I have to park it, or can I drive it until next Friday when I get my check. Thanks
for the help.

Im hoping it needs just an oil change.

Michael Kane
4,315

I would start by checking the oil level, make shure it its low. If that is good then I would change the oil and filter. I f your still having issues it could have the dreaded oil pump failure.

Deathjam4
465

You have a sticky lifter try some slick 50 in your next oil change and it will fix the sound But it is good to check the oil levels and make sure your topped up. i would not try any of those engine cleaners or oil treatments to de sludge the engine audis love petro canada's 94 oct gas and run the best on it as the better the octane the better the engine performance, It also helps clear our deposits in the fuel system on the side note* . Slick 50 high miles is best for any audi making noises mine was making loud ticking due to sticky valves as well but slick 50 took that noise away in my 98 a4 2.8L