oil leak

csz4296
35

Asked by csz4296 Nov 15, 2012 at 07:35 PM about the 1998 GMC Sierra 2500 2 Dr K2500 SLE 4WD Standard Cab LB HD

i have a 1998 gmc serria and it has a fairly big leak coming from the front end somewhere i cant seem to locate it , it started off as a slow leak but it slowly got worse

12,895

Quite possibly the front main seal located behind the harmonic balancer. If that isn't it then maybe oil cooler line. Easy way to look for it is to remove the cooling fan from the water pump and put some oil safe leak detector dye in the crankcase. Also are you certain its engine oil and not possibly power steering fluid? The kit will come with a U.V. dye a pair of funny yellow glasses and a U.V. flash light. The reason I say to remove the fan is because of the wind it creates while running could blow the dye everywhere making it almost impossible to find the source.

csz4296
35

i am positive its my oil, my oil is down , it started out as a slow leak and now i have to add a bit of oil every day now and making my driveway look like crap , ok ill go down today and get the dye and see if i can find whare the leak is