i just replaced the thermostat in a 91 ford tempo gl and still no heat just blows cold???

Daun Layton
95

Asked by Daun May 25, 2013 at 05:12 PM about the 1991 Ford Tempo 4 Dr GL Sedan

been blowing cold for a while n just replaced thermostat and its still blowing cold what else could be the problem?

Daun Layton
95

heater core?

Daun Layton
95

I was told there is a switch under dash that might be the problem anyone know where it might be located?

James Rhodes
410

Maybe you should ditch this POS and get a real car :)

35,465

Heater core might be clogged or, if you have one, a bad water control valve. This valve shuts off coolant flow through the heater core when you're not using the heater. Could be clogged or stuck shut. HTH. -Jim

Daun Layton
95

with new thermostat put in it overheated twice within 60 miles could it be a faulty thermostat? gonna try putting old one back in and see what happens

Daun Layton
95

i also have a Lincoln town car is that real enough for you? lol just tryin to come up with a quick solution for the tempo

14,695

I've had to flush plenty of heater cores months after people have used a stop-leak. If it's overheating after replacing the thermostat, it's in backward, low on coolant or the fan doesn't work. There are no switches under the dash neither is there a water control valve = coolant flows through the heater core at all times. There is also the possibility of a worn or loose water pump impeller that's not circulating coolant.

14,695

I forgot about the good old "rat's nest in the heater plenum"

35,465

Double check the thermostat. The pointy end should be up. Should also be a 195°F thermostat. If you didn't have an overheating problem before replacing the thermostat it is either defective, installed upside down, or you didn't properly re-fill the cooling system after the repair. Once the cooling system is filled run the engine to operating temperature and feel both heater hoses. Both should be hot and uncomfortable to the touch. If one is cool to the touch the heater core is clogged. HTH. - Jim

Daun Layton
95

both hoses are hot, it was running below normal temp when I put new thermostat in and has been driven 100 plus miles sense it was put in n all the sudden just started overheating

35,465

Were you low on coolant when it overheated? If so, check the thermostat housing for leakage. Being low on coolant will cause you not to have heat (from the heater) as well. On the heat/air conditioning control panel is your temperature lever or dial vacuum, cable, or electricly operated? My '94 Escort used a cable. There is a door, inside the heater box, up under the dash that changes position when you adjust the temperature setting lever or dial. Sounds like it's not moving. If the cable or whatever is supposed to move that door is broken or disconnected there's your problem. You'll need to get under the dash & see. HTH. -Jim

Manny Darling
0

Need pictures were is the thermostat on a 1992 ford tempo