Rear wheel drive or front wheel drive?

Joshua Chilcott
165

Asked by Joshua Dec 07, 2008 at 06:09 PM about the 1991 Ford Taurus SHO

I heard that the ford taurus SHO has a V8 but there is one thing that really puzzles me. is it a front wheel drive V8
or a rear wheel drive V8? Most ford taurus' are front wheel drive but what is the drivetrain of the SHO? Does the
1991 SHO come in Automatic Transmission? ( sorry bout all the questions )

sincerely
         Josh

Trevor Wentzlaff
55

The SHO never had a v8. Its just a poor designed v6. Very difficult to work on and in my opinion not reliable. As far as the 91 not quite sure but it would make sense to make an auto and standard.

Joshua Chilcott
165

Thank you for the info but what I really wanna know is if it is a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive?

Tom McGovern
45

The Taurus did have a v8 in the SHO from 96-99, but from 89-95 it had the v6 and all taurus are front wheel drive, even the v8. these are the engine and trans specs for the SHO - 89-91 -3.0 v6 5speed - 92-95 - 3.0 v6 5speed or -3.2 v6 auto -96-99 -3.4 v8 auto hope this helps.

Bong'r Thao
10

According to Edmunds.com and other sources, the SHO is a front wheel driven car. Although, you can probably tell if you look under the car. A rear wheel driven car usually has a rear differential.

Joshua Chilcott
165

Thanks so much for the info. so the 89-91 SHO only came in a 5speed and no automatic transmission could be an extra cost add-on that the owner could have?

Tom McGovern
45

it is possible to swap it im sure but not cost effective. manuals are quicker anyway.

Vahan Afarian
65

It is definitely NOT a cost effective option! In fact, from ALL the stories I've heard from SHO owners of auto trannies, they've had to re-build them roughly every 80,000 kms, (50,000 miles). Plus, in my opinion, you'd do a great disservice to this model if it's not a stick-shift...it is meant to be driven, and driven hard, and YOU have to be in control of HOW hard! I have 4 of 'em...2 '89s, a '90, and a '93 and they're ALL stick. I'd stay as far away as possible from the auto tranny as Ford tried to quickly fill that void to have a wider customer potential when they re-designed the Taurus in '92. Also, the SHO died in '95 for me, as the 3rd gen came as auto only...it was the slowest SHO at about a second slower at the quarter mile (even with 2 more cylinders and 20 more hp), not to mention, i think it was the reason the SHO faded out and so it was canned! Ford fixed what wasn't broken, and they ended up breaking it. btw, THAT is a beauuutiful pic of a '91. Is it yours?

Joshua Chilcott
165

it is not mine because i am only 14 and I don't have that kind of money to buy an SHO but I would buy one if I had the money to do so. I actually found this pic on the internet and posted it so you guys know which taurus I am talking about but thanks for the compliment dude.

Vahan Afarian
65

Kewl...well, u have a couple a yrs to save up 4 1, n they aren't that expensive...JUST MAKE SURE you have someone you kno n trust 2 check out the car 4 u b4 u buy...some of 'em r badly beat up, and because they no longer make 'em, and they were rare 2 start with, some parts r obsolete, so they will be expensive! n pickin' up that ur askin' 'bout auto trannies and you don't drive yet...c if u can learn to drive stick either by the time you get ur license or the car, that way u don't have to worry the auto/stick problem!

Joshua Chilcott
165

I already know how to drive stick....well I can operate from the passenger seat and I know when to shift up or down and start a stick transmission. even a car with the smallest engine and 5 speed stick can still go pretty fast in no time.