Can't find the "Check Engine" (OBD) light on my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport instrument panel

Asked by tom_l Dec 26, 2013 at 07:21 PM about the 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 4 Dr Sport Passenger Van Extended

I am trying to get my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan inspected and was told that the "Check Engine" light does not come on when the car first starts, so it will not pass NY state inspection.  I hoped it was a simple matter of a bulb replacement, but when I pulled apart the dash and removed both the instrument panel and the information panel on the top of the dash, I could not find either the "Check Engine" or the Oil Pressure idiot light symbols on either panel.  Per the manual, they are supposed to be between the speedometer and the odometer at the bottom of the instrument panel, but all I see is black; no backlit symbols.  I see symbols all along the top of the instrument panel for everything else, just like the manual specifies, but I don't see anything that could be backlit for the OBD or oil pressure lights? I even pulled the black panel with the gauges off of the circuit board, and when held up to a light do not see any symbols where the OBD light and the oil pressure light is supposed to be?  Any hints would be appreciated!

Oops! That was supposed to be between the tachometer and the speedometer!

okay, there are diagnostic codes that can be reset with a fifteen dollar scanner...just plug into the OBD-II port (within three feet of the ignition) read and RESET the Codes~!

judge_roy, Unfortunately the issue right now isn't whether or not there are active codes. The issue is that, to pass a NYS inspection, the OBD light must come on when the car is first started as part of the "power on self test"; just to prove that it works. And, I can't fight the symbols in the instrument panel that would normally get backlit. I do see actual lights soldered onto the circuit board behind where the symbols are supposed to appear in the panel; but no symbols. I am starting to think that this was some flaw when the car was built, and this is the first time anyone has noticed it.

yes the bad 02 will make it come back....the overfilled tank will make it happen too~ they'll come back..yes...but one could Clear the codes rather than terminate and stay resident TSR style~

if it were I, would go to the pickNpull, Upull or whatever the local auto salvage place is or has plenty of my Volvo 240 speedometer that way....pieces of it become fashion earrings~ 'course if they are tagging the odometer mileage and their routines for testing are based on this mileage...then you are forced to make your own work properly...just the same a wrecked one could be an example of how it's all soldered together....and a possible parts donor~

a burned out bulb (18 cents) will do this too~

All, I finally realised that the dash on the van never had the backlit symbols installed. Funny how it passed inspection for 10 years without this supposed required feature working. Also says a lot about the final check that Dodge did on their manufacturing line in 2003. I drilled out two small holes in the dash between the Speedo and the tach and now see a yellow oil pressure light and a red check engine light when I start the van.

I am having same problem my 2003 dodge caravan does not have a check engine light and will not spark or run