chrysler grand voyager

John Sturman
1,815

Asked by Mar 14, 2013 at 01:00 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager 4 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

i am a mechanic in the uk have a problem with a 3.3 that is foxing me as it is an intermittant fault gives the impression of a bad starter motor so changed that also put on new battery and the car will start up fine 80% of the time other times there is nothing happening when the ignition key is turned thought relay but they check out fine was wondering if it is the ignition switch itself.was thinking about putting a push button switch to bridge the starter relay with the ignition power set to on to by pass the barrel third stage setting. any ideas weather this will work because of the imboliser system?

77,615

I was right with you until you got to "barrel third stage setting". I don't know what the imboliser system is either. -- Install the bypass switch and give it a go. The worse that can happen is that it won't start and that's where you are at the moment.

Best Answer
77,615

I didn't know that MG got all the way to the MGF. I remember the MGA, MGB, MGBGT and the MGC. My first test drive was a MG 1100. The motor mounts were shot and the seller tried to tell me that all front wheel drive cars were like that.

John Sturman
1,815

f is a mid engined rear wheel drive sports car and great fun

Pith
0

John if you find the answer please post, my voyger has had the same problem,I have had a new battery, new starter motor. Crysler can not find the problem and I'm on first name terms with the rac.......so fed up!

John Sturman
1,815

located the problem it turns out the chrysler wiring is suspect especialy the earth that runs under the fuse box the earth post look good but due to the unseen corosion the wires break down over time replaced the earth post and the wires to them and added a secondary earth onto the chassis and touch wood hasnt played up since

77,615

For the Yanks in the house: the ground stud under the fuse box was replaced. An additional ground wire was installed to a site out in the open.

77,615

I have deduced the "barrel third stage setting" refers to the ignition switch, the barrel is the central rotating part and third stage setting is the third position (start).

John Sturman
1,815

sorry tenspeed being from accross the pond some of our terminoligy is a little foreign but yes the third stage is indeed the start position and yes ground stud as you call them we call earth posts so appologies if i confused you

Pith
0

Cheers John , gonna give this a go crossing my fingers this solves it for me too, know in my soul it's electrical will post the results , thanks x