How frequently must batteries be replaced?

lbrown
0

Asked by lbrown Jul 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM about the 2007 Toyota Prius Base

120,185

Depends on a lot of a factors such as temperature, size, starts and stop, etc. Today a normal battery last anywhere from 4-7 years. But you might get one that might last less due to a shorted cell.

Alan Lee
45

I think the Prius comes with either an 8 or 10 year warrantee on the batteries so might be worth checking with your local dealer.

Matt Nelson
55

The Hybrid Battery is designed to last the life of the car. And as far as I know, a Toyota Hybrid System battery has never had to be replaced due to wear...replacements have only been done if in accident or defective from the factory to begin with. There's a separate smaller battery used for starting the hybrid system that should be replaced about as often as batteries in regular cars. Don't worry, these are very low maintenance cars...you'll only be replacing/rotating tires and changing oil. If you drive it for mpgs, you may not even be changing brakes. My step dad had 230k on his 2005 Gen II before he needed to replace brakes. I had almost 100k on my 2008 before trading it in and the brakes were a little less than half gone. If you are asking because you are considering purchasing one, you won't regret...they are amazing cars!

KINGSTON
20

Matt's answer is correct. The regular battery may be 4 to 7, but mine is still fine at 5 1/2 years.