electrical problem

cbhandle
40

Asked by cbhandle May 31, 2012 at 03:23 PM about the 2002 Ford Taurus SEL

2002 Taurus has no power to ignition or accessories. Battery is good. Have cheched fuses an all seem OK. When I turn ignition switch no lights come on in dash and engine does not turn. Basically nothing happens.

Mike Tritle
2,225

First things first. Check your battery cable connections for corrosion. Clean and reinstall. Once that is done if it doesn't cure the problem, check the ground connections at the other end of the cables. Again, clean and reinstall. Get back to us on the results and we'll go from there if necessary. Good Luck!

cbhandle
40

Did not help. The only things that seem to have power are the lights, power seat & door locks. Doesn't seem to be any power to anything that requires key switch on either start or accessory.

Mike Tritle
2,225

Next step would be the ignition switch. Check for power coming to the switch. If none, then you'll need to trace the main power wire through the harness. A Haynes manual (any auto parts store) has wiring diagrams with color codes to map out the route and junctions. If power is there, then turn on the switch and see if power is coming out. If not, switch is the problem. Good Luck!

Best Answer
Christopher Paden
2,755

check ALL fuses including the mega fuses under the hood.

cbhandle
40

Thanks for all the help. It turned out to be a broken power wire between fuse panel and ignition. Ran a new wire and all is OK.

Mike Tritle
2,225

Glad you found it! Thanks also for the best answer rating.