car starts and idles but wants to die if press gas

cmd83
0

Asked by cmd83 Apr 20, 2013 at 08:45 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus SE

I have a 02 Ford focus 2.0 sp single cam the car will start and idle fine but if you give it
gas it will sputter and try to die but you let off I will Rev up some and then idle fine again
I have replaced fuel and air filter spark plugs etc... and still does it please any
suggestions ????????

judge_roy

yes. take a look at your EGR valve (smog control device). this one introduces the exhaust into the intake under decel and to simplify the explaination >>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifz8YdN2kM

15,315

Ya dont learn do ya judge im done trying to explain things to you.

15,315

Do you have any codes stored in the pcm? Very well could be a mass air flow problem sometimes some crud can get on the sensor and cause issues. The idle air control valve may be acting up but usually if they act up you will have a high idle not a stumble. You said you replaced the fuel filter. Have you checked the fuel pressure by chance.

judge_roy

well apparently I don't know from beans, dropped "beans" from the name don't ya know, yes upon acceleration the EGR introduces "inoccous NO2" into the mix to keep the operating temperature exact, but this business is tenuous, and controls must be exact for this to work properly-

judge_roy

did you not see the U-tube video I posted up there?...well then~

15,315

I dont need to watch youtube videos for information I do it for a living. Once again its not your suggested diagnosis but your explanation of egr working on decel. I wouldnt rule out egr in this case, its a more unlikey option but not impossible. But it was never designed for decel conditions if it were to ever work on decel it would be improper operation.

Chris Turpin
105

I am assuming you have no PCM codes or you would have mentioned a check engine light. I would check the fuel pump as well as the EGR valve. I have seen them go out but still idle fine.

judge_roy

the fuel pressure regulator if the hose falls off will suck air thru the connection causing high idle and improper fuel pressure~....will NOT issue a trouble code but must be manually checked with a vacuum suckin' tool~