What is an average price to replace the timing belt?

poncedesert
25

Asked by poncedesert May 14, 2007 at 05:53 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus SE

My Focus is in good operating condition.  I have not had any problems even with 132k miles.  I am concerned about the timing belt though since I just read in my manual that it should be replaced every 60k mi.  What is an average cost at a dealership for replacement?

LouB
12,510

Hi poncedesert! One thing is for certain, it will be a lot less to fix now that it will be if the timing belt lets go, and you are well over the recommended timetable for replacement. It will vary from car to car and dealer to dealer but generally you can get out of a timing belt replacement for $200-$300. To be certain however, call your local Ford Service Manager and he'll give you an accurate quote. This is a pretty standrad procedure these days. Good luck!

Dan Barth
10

Just quoted 605 dollars plus tax. Shults Ford. 1/11/2013

SamSVTMan
10

Fix it ASAP. My belt broke at 115k and it damaged the (interference) engine. $2200 repair bill and that was cheap because the cylinder head was re-manufactured, not replaced. Luckily, I had a after-market warranty to pay for it. Belt maintenance interval is 120k.