2006 explorer trottle position sensor

GinaCT
0

Asked by GinaCT May 17, 2014 at 08:32 PM about the 2006 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4WD

GinaCT
0

sorry - more info.... no engine lights on. After the truck idles for 5 minutes or so when your press on the gas something races but the truck has no power - after about a minute or so the truck kicks in and runs normal. It doesn't happen all of the time; it happens if the trucks sits idle or sits at a light then you start to accelerate but the truck engine races; rpms rise but engine doesn't have power until a minute or two then it just starts acting normal.

12,755

The Throttle Control in your vehicle is very sophisticated and known as a "fly-by-wire" system. There is no cable. Included in this system is a redundant system that allows the computer to monitor it closely. Without experiencing your concern in person, it does sound somewhat like a Transmission concern rather than an Electronic Engine Control problem. You can have the system scanned for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (usually for free) by your local parts retailer (AutoZone, Pep Boys etc.) but the first thing that I thought of was either low fluid level in your Automatic Transmission or a pending Transmission failure.

GinaCT
0

Thanks for your reply. A local reputable garage checked my transmission fluid and said it was full and clean. They drove the car and said there are no transmission issues. The issue doesn't happen regularly; didn't happen at all today. It happens when the car idles for a while then happens as it accelerates. There are no trouble lights on; will a trouble code still show?

12,755

It's really hard to say if it will have any codes stored. I'm not a Transmission specialist by any means. You could check for trouble codes for good measure. Sometimes, a failure just needs time to develop over time and sometimes, a vehicle has an idiosyncrasy that makes it unique. A sticking shift solenoid is a guess but then again, I'm not a trans specialist. The proper way to diagnose a transmission in a modern vehicle it to hook up a set a gauges and a very good scan tool, drive the vehicle, take pressure and sensor readings and monitor outputs. I'm certain that a very capable shop can do all of these things but I'm also certain that they will want to charge you upwards of 2 hours worth of labor to do it.