Rear hatch handle doesn't work. How do I fix?

ExpeditionMike
0

Asked by ExpeditionMike Aug 15, 2010 at 05:17 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer XLT V8

2003 Ford Expedition.  I was pulling the latch to open the rear hatch and something seemed to pop and the hatch didnt open.  I cant seem to find any way to remove the back panel to see what is wrong.  I cant open the hatch to give me access to the outside perimeter of the panel screws. How do I remedy?

papa

you broke the handle on the inside,look for a pull handle on the inside to open,look in glove box for a push button to open it.

margo62145
170

I have a 2000 Explorer with same problem. THERE IS NO PULL HANDLE. THERE IS NO BUTTON IN THE GLOVE BOX OR ANYWHERE ELSE. Moron engineers.

kevinppierce
195

You have to pull the inner panel off the door. The latch linkage has a plastic connecting piece which has either broken or slipped off. I went to a junk yard and got this plastic piece and replaced it. It works fine now. But i'm sure it will break again because it is made of plastic.

kevinppierce
195

I removed the pull handle on the tail gate by removing the two screws in it and then I was able to reach in and pull the linkage to open the door. The inner panel snaps in with clips and needs to be gently pried off.

RickTew2
110

I'm not able to remove the 2 screws. The screws don't seem to be an ellen type of screw or any head that I'm familiar with. Any idea what type of driver that I would need? I was able to hook the latch cable with a clothes hanger, but not able to pull down far enough to un-latch the hatch.

susan02
110

2001 explorer ok, can i repair by removing the 'ford' sign thats above the back handle or do i have to remove the inside back panel