ford explorer 2002 showing theft light and will not start, how do you override

muriuki
0

Asked by muriuki Nov 12, 2011 at 02:52 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT

I was working at the back of the car and left the front door open. when I tried to start car, it was showing the theft light and would not start. What should I do

Michael McGrail
5,985

Found this in the explorer forum.. Hope it helps.. Put the key in the ignition, and turn forward all the way just before cranking. Then within 5 seconds, locate, press and hold in the valet/overide button, found under the dash area, (push button, spring loaded) until the installed LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes on solid, and the siren chirps once. (Your valet switch might be the toggle (on/off) type. in this case, key on, flip switch in opposite direction, then turn the key off.) This should reset the alarm, and reset the grounded relay on the starter wire, allowing you to start the engine. At this point, the only thing working would be the keyless entry from the alarm, if it came equipped that way. Just Repeat these steps to place it back to usable armed mode. You may get 2 chirps, confirming it, and the lights may flash twice as well. That should do it.

OJ
5,670

The situation I describe is on my 99 explorer. A locksmith was changing the ignition switch and after doing so went through the program sequence for the new lock. He could not get the car to turn over. After an hour I returned and he was still having difficulty. I noticed the drivers side door was open and he manually pushed down the door lock. On the 99, if you do this you have to use the key fob to lock then unlock the door for it to start. Hope it works.

Godislove
50

micheal can you explain that in more simple way i get confused when you say... . (Your valet switch might be the toggle (on/off) type. in this case, key on, flip switch in opposite direction, then turn the key off.) This should reset the alarm, and reset the grounded relay on the starter wire, allowing you to start the engine. At this point, the only thing working would be the keyless entry from the alarm, if it came equipped that way. Just Repeat these steps to place it back to usable armed mode. You may get 2 chirps, confirming it, and the lights may flash twice as well. That should do it.